Price Advice on Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC CC Power Source

I offered $500. Too much?

It's an older machine and I can't quite read the serial number in the picture. It looks like MJET13535 or it could be MJE713535. I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

Is that a Dialarc HF for TIG or just a plain Dialarc?

If the former, it is a good price, if the latter, a "generous offer".

Reply to
Ignoramus14435

Truth be told, I'm not sure. If it is the latter, what would a 'good price' be?

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

Hey, is there any way I can tell from the marking on the machine or anything? I don't think it is HF since I don't see a plug for a remote on the front.

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

$200-300 at most for a minty machine, with leads/stinger

Now..this assumes that welders are fairly common in your area. If they are as scarce as hens teeth...its a sellers market.

The last 2 Dialarcs I bought...cost me $75 each, but were sans leads and cosmetically challenged..

As a basic AC/DC machine..they are very very hard to beat. Marvelous basic machine, tough as hell, rugged, and all modes are a pleasure to weld with. This is why so many of them were/are used in school welding programs.

And why one has a permanant place under my welding table. Good machines.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Man! Where do you live that you've got all those welders around that you're getting them for $75?!

Anyway, I went back and offered him $350 and he passed. Oh well. I'll just keep my ear to the ground.

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

Where are you located? I run across welders all the time. Southern California is filled with them. Since most companies now want the latest greatest inverter based machines, and consider transformer machines to be old tech...they are put out to pasture.

A couple years ago I posted about being given a Bumblebee 250, which was nothing more than a DialArc 250 with a bright yellow case, and about 500lbs of rod. I gave it away to a buddy who really needed a welder.

Shrug...I think last count I owned about 8 welders, 4 of them being AC/DC/Tig/Stick.

Hummm...less see....

Airco 300 Squarewave with Bernard cooler is my workhorse tig machine Miller DialArc 250, under my welding table for stick Dan-Mig 200 is my main mig machine Ranger 9 multprocess, Stick/Mig (Lincoln LN-8 Wirefeeder)tig, ready to be mounted in my service trailer

Airco 250HF (rebadged DialArc 250 HF with cooler (on loan) (tig) Airco 350 PhaseArc mig (3ph) on loan (mig) Esab 250 SquareWave with Benitz cooler, on loan (tig) Lincoln Weldpak 100 (mig) in my service truck Lincoln 300 Square Wave (under repair) Tig Marquette 110vt stick buzzbox (piece of shit)

There is at least one more somewhere....hummm..Oh..Century AC/DC buzzbox , stick, on loan...

Maybe one more...must not have been important..Ill remember after I hit Send, probably...

Oh..BIG Hobart CyberTig 2, 3ph, DC tig/plasma welder...600 amp , in storage.

Want it?

Then there is the PCM100 plasma cutter that I cant use because its 3ph and needs a torch conversion to run compresses air, rather than CO2 and Nitrogen

And the Daytona Pocket 25 plasma cutter, which wont!! cut anything thicker than 1/8"..damit.

I doubt I have even $2k invested in the whole bunch, including gas to go pick em up.

Course..Im kinda sorta considered to be a Master Scrounger..shrug

Gunner, Dauber, not welder

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

A gun can never have too many tools. Your last line is very humble. Many people really think they can weld.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

A man has to know his limitations.

Shrug

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I'm in LaGrange, Kentucky. I'm about 30 miles NE of Louisville.

Dang!

Yes, but I need single-phase and shipping from CA would kill me! :)

Good for you! I'm not...yet.

I just bought a brandy new Millermatic 252 which is proving to be VERY useful around the barn. I got given a Lincoln AC 225 buzz box that's better than nothing, but I really want a nice DC stick machine. 'Nice' meaning something along the lines of of a DialArc, etc. A reliable old workhorse that I can put in the corner and use for my stick needs.

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

Know thyself. Amen.

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

There has to be welders floating around in the Rustbelt, Ohio, Michigan etc etc that are within driving distance.

Start talking to EVERY welder or metal worker you know. Hit all the machinery dealers, the welding shops, check Craigslist religiously, look up all the auctioneers who do industrial and school surplus.

Have Vista Print make up some business cards for you and put "welders bought and sold" on it. Pass em out to everyone. Its like $13 for

250 color cards you can design yourself. A business card makes people remember you.

Welders will trickle in slowly..then they will start finding you. If it works and is anywhere near safe and desireable, dont pass on it if the price is right. Even if you dont want it..pass it along to others. If you make a couple dollars on it to cover your costs, fine, just dont start thinking you are in the business. Learn to fix the simple stuff. Most transformer welders have little that can go wrong that isnt easily fixable , if it will strike an arc.

And while scrounging, snag every stinger, ground clamp and lead that you can find. You will wind up with welders with no leads so will need to put Stuff on them.

I understand, been there, did that