Proper working Anvil Height

Threaded View

   Hello. I am buying a 100 lb Anvil and want to know what would be the
proper working height to set it up in. I am 5' 6" in height if that would
have any bearing. I just thought  there must a normal height it should be
set at to get an optimum swing with a peening hammer and still save your
back... Thanks... Jim

Re: Proper working Anvil Height

You can find information on this on google, but it seems like for
blacksmithing they usually go between wrist and knuckle height.

Chris

Re: Proper working Anvil Height

The top should be at the level of your knuckles.

Re: Proper working Anvil Height Thank you

      Thanks...now I know... Jim

Re: Proper working Anvil Height Thank you

Jim wrote:

You'll know when you've used it enough to tell if that's the right
position for you and your work.  :)

Certainly it's a reasonable starting point and you may end up there but
time'll tell...

--

Re: Proper working Anvil Height

I got the bottom of mine even with the ground.  It was half sunk into the
ground when I got it.

Fran

Re: Proper working Anvil Height

It actually depends a lot on the work you do - and that's one reason
folks end up with more than one anvil at more than one height. Leave it
easily adjustable until you've figured out what works best for you and
your usual work.

Re: Proper working Anvil Height

In sci.engr.joining.welding Ecnerwal

Yep.  And what most people don't realize is the knuckle height advice that
is passed along is for an anvil that will be used with strikers.  As in
people using what looks like a sledge hammer with about a 3' handle on it.
Set it for that height and use a normal 2 or 3 pound hammer and you are
going to be hunched over your anvil.  Not good for your back.

I set my anvil so my hammer face is parallel to the anvil face with my
elbow directly below my shoulder and my forearm about parallel to the
ground.  My back is straight.  This way I hit with the most power without
pulling my body out of line or having to bend over.

Re: Proper working Anvil Height

I'm not a blacksmith but that sure sounds like better advice than the
knuckles height. I would have guessed that you want it 3" to 4" lower
than your elbow when used with a 2-1/2pound hammer.

Re: Proper working Anvil Height

I've never hit an anvil, but your description sounds like it would be pretty
accurate to me.  I have noticed, however, in old videos of men working with
anvils, particularly farriers, that they have a slight bend in their backs,
raising up with a straight back to cock the hammer, then after coming down
and striking the metal, there is just a very slight forward curve.  I'd look
at some old pictures, or videos.  I'd also make the height adjustable,
because I don't believe one size fits all if one is going to be doing many
different things on the anvil.

My $.02 for free, and well worth it.

Steve

Re: Proper working Anvil Height

like putting attachments into the square hole of the anvil whichever one it
is hardee or prichel

Fran

Re: Proper working Anvil Height

I've never used one before either, but my first thought is to mount
the anvil as solidly as possible at the highest height you might need
it and maybe use a stackable/adjustable platform to stand on. But of
course if you're doing something where you're walking back and forth
to the anvil a lot that could be annoying.

Re: Proper working Anvil Height

"Todd Rich"  wrote: (clip) I set my anvil so my hammer face is parallel to
the anvil face with my
This is logical, but it leaves out the thickness of the work and/or the
height of any anvil inserts.  I have used anvils a lot, and I don't think
it's all that critical.  A few inches one way or the other probably make
little difference.  If it did, carpenters wouldn't be able to drive nails
where and how they do.

Site Timeline