Question on USA Welder Certification

How does Canadian Journeyman status compare to US Welder Certification? My big plan is to work on an offshore drilling rig.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Joanne

Reply to
Aries

They don't have what we would consider apprenticeship and journeyman status. From what I can tell talking to Americans employers will train and qualify you in their own company. I met some competent heavy duty mechanics and tire mechanics that worked in an American open pit mine. If they left that mine they left with no paperwork. In fact that particular mine would not acknowledge their training if questioned by another prospective employer. If you have any CWB or better yet ASME tickets they will be recognised in the USA. The American welding Society is trying to standardise training and qualifications nation-wide but it seems an uphill battle. The process has been ongoing for the last ten years that I know of. For work on rigs you should have some ASME or American Petroleum Institute pressure tickets. You might check with the boilermakers or plumbers & pipe fitters union. They often move people across the border on permit. Why do you want ocean air anyway when you can have the beautiful sub-arctic expanses of northern Alberta Tarsands??? There is already talk of importing Chinese workers to do construction up there. They are desperate. Randy

Any ideas?

Thanks, Joanne

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

You know:

I would have to say that it kind of irks me when I hear things like importing foreign workers to build these projects, when people like myself can't seem to get a foot in the door. I think that I have covered the area and projects up there pretty well with resumes and cover letters and still no response. I have a quiver full of reference letters from previous employers, CWB tickets (all position), journeyman welder's ticket (soon to be IP red seal) and will soon have PWP 7 and 10 pressure tickets (will be testing this week and next). I guess that my next step is to do the Alberta 'B' pressure on my way up there. I know that the work is there but I would rather know where I am going before I leave home and a steady job.

Drew

Reply to
Drew McEachren

The big problem id where are you going to live???... other than a camp. I have heard that a couch goes for 500 a month. One way is to live in Edmonton. Lots of work and you are in civilisation. check the classifieds

Randy

I would have to say that it kind of irks me when I hear things like importing foreign workers to build these projects, when people like myself can't seem to get a foot in the door. I think that I have covered the area and projects up there pretty well with resumes and cover letters and still no response. I have a quiver full of reference letters from previous employers, CWB tickets (all position), journeyman welder's ticket (soon to be IP red seal) and will soon have PWP 7 and 10 pressure tickets (will be testing this week and next). I guess that my next step is to do the Alberta 'B' pressure on my way up there. I know that the work is there but I would rather know where I am going before I leave home and a steady job.

Drew

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Last Spring drove though Edmonton on the highway I saw at least three large commercial signs that had "Welders Wanted" In Hinton The McDonalds had " "Help Wanted 10 per hour". These signs were proper lettered signs not on a chunk of plywood done with spray paint. Be mindful that Alberta has a strong rural agricultural work ethic. It is not the place for a lay back attitude in the workplace. Be cautious of scams though.

Randy

I would have to say that it kind of irks me when I hear things like importing foreign workers to build these projects, when people like myself can't seem to get a foot in the door. I think that I have covered the area and projects up there pretty well with resumes and cover letters and still no response. I have a quiver full of reference letters from previous employers, CWB tickets (all position), journeyman welder's ticket (soon to be IP red seal) and will soon have PWP 7 and 10 pressure tickets (will be testing this week and next). I guess that my next step is to do the Alberta 'B' pressure on my way up there. I know that the work is there but I would rather know where I am going before I leave home and a steady job.

Drew

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Your're kidding

northern ontario is hard up for anything and nobody in new brunswick works the winter unless they are in the military. thats sick and a GOVT failing to push careers or trades in cnadian areas that are hard up b4 importing workers

Reply to
Brent Philion

-- snip --

There is no shortage of workers. There is a shortage workers who will work for a wage the employers are willing to pay. What the employers are willing to pay is below the cost of living in that area.

Using the same arguments, one could say that there is a shortage of automobiles in North America, if one is prepared to pay a maximum of $5000 for a new vehicle. Let's flood the market with new vehicles from China until the price drops to what we are prepared to pay. This is just basic Economics 101 -- price is inversely proportional to supply in a free market economy. Using the criteria that a new vehicle should cost no more than $5000, would you agree that there is a shortage of new automobiles in North America? I am unable to find a new vehicle within my price range of $5000 or less. How about you? Must be a shortage, huh?

With all the factory automation in North America, why are North American auto manufacturers too lazy to turn a knob on their computer and produce more new vehicles per hour? Let's fix this shortage by importing vehicles from abroad until the price drops according to our Economics 101 theory. If this kind of economics theory comes in handy for lowering wage rates, why can't it be used for lowering product prices?

In the case of Chinese workers at the Alberta Tar Sands, the wages offered may appear to be much higher than what they are accustomed to getting in China but, it is going to take them a very, very long time to earn a plane ticket back to China if more than what they earn goes towards the cost of living after they get here. Its called slavery, well, not really, if the worker willingly agrees to do it. In a free and democratic society, the onus is on the worker to figure out if he can afford to do the job before accepting the offer. Not all jobs are affordable.

If you think earning $100,000 per annum as a weldor at the Tar Sands is good money, you might want to take a few other factors into consideration:

a) Under Canadian tax law, anyone earning that much falls into the

50+% income tax rate. Lets be generous and say this leaves you with $50,000 at your disposal after income taxes.

b) The Tar Sands is an area under development. There is no place to live. The sub-arctic climate is not hospitable for living in a tent. This means that you will have to commute. If you think driving to and from work is expensive, commute in this case means via aircraft at about $80 per day x 300 days/year = $24,000. So, $50,000 - $24,000 leaves you with $26,000 at your disposal.

c) Unless you work at the airport, you might want to take a Taxi from the airport to your place of employment. This leaves you with $26,000

- $5,000 = $21,000 at your disposal.

d) You and your family will most likely live in Edmonton in an apartment that costs about $1,000 per month or $12,000 per year. This leaves you with $21,000 - $12,000 = $9,000 at your disposal.

e) Before you jump to the conclusion that the $9,000 is all yours, you might want to remember that a hamburger meal at McDucks is about $9. Depending on how many meals you skip, you might have enough cash left over at the end of the year for a vacation.

The above is just a general guideline. If you are single, you might be able to save money by living in conditions not acceptable for a family. If you are creative, you might be able to juggle the figures somewhat, for example, if you are a pilot/aircraft owner, who is able to take along some passengers.

My point is that the wage you earn is not important. What is important is how much money you have left over after you cover all of your taxes and expenses. If you are going to work your butt off, pay taxes through the nose, and spend a good portion of your life waiting to pass through airport security checks, you ought to make sure, that in the end, it is all worth it. The state of the world is such that you might be better off staying put where you are and let the Chinese take those "high paying" jobs.

Meanwhile, you ought to join the chorus and scream long and loud that there is a shortage of new vehicles (or what ever other product you can't find at a price you are prepared to pay for) in North America. Let's get that Economics 101 supply and demand theory applied to all sectors of the economy, not just wages. Why should a hamburger meal cost $9.00 when 59 cents is much more reasonable? According to our Economics 101 supply and demand theory, I say there is a shortage of hamburgers in North America!

Reply to
Speechless

I can't argue with your point Speechless but then I am a guy who has never asked for a raise and never discussed salary in an interview. If the employer brings it up I do not respond positively or negatively. When I figure someone should be paying me more I find a new job. I am in my late fifties and it has worked for me. Yes moving into a new area can be financially tough if one does not budget and plan. That means a new vehicle is a luxury. One has to adopt the Northern life. You have to dump money into RRSP. If you have a high maintenance spouse and similar offspring my sympathy goes out to you. If one works in the Edmonton area is a lower cost of living and there are many more job opportunities supporting the Tarsands infrastructure. I wouldn't worry about the importation of offshore labour. It is a regular threat but usually backfires on the employer in numerous ways. I have seen projects underbid in China and upon delivery it was clear why they were able to underbid. I am even experiencing this "shortage" since we have had two unsolicited wage increases in the last 12 months. Even in the Vancouver area employers are having to match wages to other shops in the same industrial park. Randy

There is no shortage of workers. There is a shortage workers who will work for a wage the employers are willing to pay. What the employers are willing to pay is below the cost of living in that area.

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

I have a bad case of brain fog tonight - what do you mean RRSP?

Reply to
John Miller

You can contribute to register retirement saving plan. Up to 20 percent of your income tax free or rather deferred when you redeem you investment at 69 or earlier. You can choose you investment... self administered, term deposits, mutual funds... whatever.

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Canadian tax sheletered investment.

You pay tax upon withdrawal of your funds from the RRSP

Up till last year it was deliberately structured to force Canadian > I have a bad case of brain fog tonight - what do you mean RRSP?

Reply to
Brent Philion