Rosebud weld tactics

I'm going to drill some holes in one side of two pieces of flat, and then use rosebud welds to join them together. Is it best to start in the center, and get a hot puddle, and spiral out, or spiral around the edge, and fill in the center last?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

What's the advantage of filling it in at all, compared to just putting a weld around the edge?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Want hole to be 1/2" max. dia.

And don't know if "rosebud" is the right name. May be "plug" weld.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You're talking about doubling it up ? That is , drilling holes in one piece , laying it on top of the other and welding them together by filling the hole with weldment ? I don't know if starting on the edge or the center will make much difference , just be sure you get penetration on the bottom piece . I did that with some AC condenser cage lock boxes (security device) and got some cold lap joints on the bottom piece .

Reply to
Snag

I guess I'm still not seeing it -- I would expect the right answer to be to weld around the edge; OK, if the hole is small enough you might end up with it filled in, but I don't see a significant difference either way.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I think the term you want is 'Rosette weld', also called a 'plug weld'. Rosebud is a term used for the largest common Oxy/acetylene torch.

And I think the technique will vary depending on the relative thicknesses of the material. Googling the two terms I mentioned will yield a bunch of info.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

Reply to
HHSupply

Good site - stuff is explained very clearly. I learned a few things.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Ah, OK -- I think I see the answer: guarantees adhesion to the back plate.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Thank you for the excellent site. I did manage to get one 7' x 64" piece mounted yesterday by myself, and learned several things. First thing was NOT to plug weld the things. I got it on, and started shooting screws into it. Then I noticed it was 1/4" out of kilter. Would have been a booger to fix if I had welded it. So, I decided to screw it on, then weld a lot of short welds to guarantee stability. Throw in a few through bolts to make sure our high winds don't get it.

With the Corten, you have to drill a pilot hole, as the pilot point on the screw will not make an adequate hole for the threads to expand out the metal. The screw just stops part way in.

The site you posted showed a lot of things. It is amazing that a lot of welders know a lot of things, yet there are still dark little areas that we've never been exposed to where we can find really useful information. I know my knowledge now of plug welding has drastically increased.

Thanks again.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve,

Glad you found site useful. Another good site I've found for tips, info is:

Disclaimer: I am not associated with either site.

Reply to
HHSupply