Silver brazing

I was watching the HVAC gut install a new AC unit the other day and he was silver brazing the pipes without using any flux. Is this OK?

Reply to
Jimmie D

Copper to copper = Yes, copper to brass = No

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In a way, he did use flux. He used a copper/silver/phosphorous alloy brazing rod. This is self-fluxing on copper.

"Jimmie D" wrote in news:467565bb$0$4889$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Reply to
Dev Null

Ive never brazed copper before, The HVAC guy at work always uses flux with Cu to Cu, is this OK

Reply to
Jimmie D

"Jimmie D" wrote in news:4676ba42$0$15004$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Sil-phos is used so 1: no flux can get inside the refrigeration lines, 2: there is no flux residue to cause corrosion.

If these conditions can be met, flux is fine. Flux is great as long as it is cleaned off after brazing.

Don't take my word for this, DAGS.

NOTE: most people prefer habit (superstition) over logic so I don't argue the point.

Reply to
Dev Null

It depends on what you are using. Silphos is not what I would call silver brazing, although it contains 5 to 15 % silver. It is good for copper, and I think okay for brass and bronze. But no good for steel or stainless steel. It does not require flux and is cheaper than silver solder with 40% or more silver.

The guy using flux is probably not using silphos. If I were using Silphos, I would not use flux. If I were using silver solder, I would.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster