Small Diameter Hardfacing Wire

I seem to recall somebody mentioning either here or in RCM once finding modest size spools of smaller than normal diameter hard facing wire. (I think they were hard facing an anvil.) Anybody remember the source? I would prefer to do this job with the little Lincoln 125, and I am afraid that the .035 wire might push its capability.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have never seen hardface wires smaller than 0.045".

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie, but a quick search shows 0.035 as readily available. It seems to stick in my memory that the guy doing the anvil project found some .027. Seriously though witht eh smaller welder I have found even going from .035 to .030 seems to help a lot. If I could find some .030 I flux core I would jump on it. I really don't want to run that messy flux core through my big welder. Besides it would be handy to be able to run it on the 110V welder.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Harris was making a 0.030" dual-shield wire they called "Twenty-Eight Gauge". Good product, terrible marketing.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I will try to look it up right now. That is a hard facing wire?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

No, it is just a dual shield welding wire to get hotter welds with small welders.

The hardface wires I have the most experience with are Rankin Ranomatic BBG and DDG. They are my favorite wires for building anvil faces.

oys/

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ok, thanks Ernie. I'll just order some 0.035" then. If it doesn't work well in the little welder I'll just have to steel myself (pun intended) to having to using the big welder and having to do some extra clean up of the gun.

Reply to
Bob La Londe