Small magnetic squares??

Threaded View
    --Looking for some small magnetic squares that I can use to jig
in a tight space. Anyone got a line on them say, 2" or 3" max on a
side?
    --TIA,

--
        "Steamboat Ed" Haas         :  For some reason hung up on
        Hacking the Trailing Edge!  :  Mexican Oompah bands...

Karin Conover-Lewis
klclewis at hotmail dot com

Re: Small magnetic squares??
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:47:24 -0500, "nospam@spamless.com"

A rather embarrassing (to me) side note regarding magnets. I was
trying to tig some aluminum the other day..and the arc was a waterfall
when I reached a certain section of metal.  Big mushroom of arc and
plasma.

It was driving me crazy until I moved the work piece and realized I
was using one of those magnets under the work as a standoff.  I hit
the area over the magnet and it was like futuristic art.

Sigh..so much to learn, so much to stub my toe on.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Re: Small magnetic squares??
So the arc is very strongly affected by magnetism? I guess that makes
sense. I should try that sometime :)

Re: Small magnetic squares??

Strongly is not a word emphatic enough <G>

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Re: Small magnetic squares??
Just think of this :

A magnet is composed of magnetic field lines and stuff.
A current is composed of electro-magnetic field lines and stuff.

You know what happens when a magnet gets near another, - it rotates, flips, ....
etc.
So magnetic fields and electronic or electric fields do the same.

Ever see welding wires jump or wiggle in the sand ? - same stuff.  They
are interacting with each other.

Martin [ still learning and re-learning ]

--
Martin Eastburn
Re: Small magnetic squares??

I've done that one. I thought those magnetic welders clamps looked like
a good idea... Yeah maybe for Oxy fuel welding. It was pretty impressive
how little magnet had such a big effect on GTAW plasma.

I rarely make the same mistake twice, but the supply of new ones doesn't
seem to be running out either.

Bob

Site Timeline