Smiths torches?

Not a lot of Smiths out here in the Western States....mostly Victor with Harris as a distant second.

So Ive had very little experience with them. Are they better/worse/equivelant to the normal run of the mill Victors etc etc?

I see them on Ebay..and get a hankering for one..but cannot justify spending the money on a set....cringe..grunt....drool....

Oh..did you guys see this stuff Ive got available for sale?

There is welding torches in there..simply find the photos and enlarge them. Some odd stuff..some plain jane stuff...shrug

Yah...like I really need a Smiths.......drool.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Smith are "pretty", but I have never liked their valves. I like old Airco first, and industrial Victor second.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

(...)

How about Purox? I find my W-200 easier to control than my 'consumer' Victor.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

when I bought my gas welding setup (new), Smiths was the cheap alternative to Victor - as soon as I got a (used) victor torch I switched. It is your choice

Reply to
Bill Noble

Never had any experience with them. Purox is one of the lines owned by ESAB now.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have a small Smiths- don't know the official size off hand.

Because it was free. The welding tips are a longer I think and the cutting tips use a couple of washers/ gaskets for sealing. Which can be a PIA if one of them get cut- poor sealing....

I was considering having it "rebuilt" through my Linde dealer, outside of Cleveland, and my salesman sorta turned his nose up. It would probably be "lost' 'cause no one would know what the hell it was. I took his advice.

Reply to
Sano

I have one of the "Little Torch" kits, managed to pick up some uncommon accessories while the local yokels still had them in stock. Works fine and there was nothing like it until the chinks started shipping knock-offs. I have to second the opinion about valve seals, though, the acetylene valve bonnet got loose and I had a nice little flame in the handle area heating up the glove. Tightening it up fixed that, but it's something I have to watch when I use it. Neatest tip is the ring burner, has a C shape and three converging flames, designed to be used for brazing tubing. Does that job pretty quick. Nobody else has one like that and even Smith seems to have dropped it.

I picked up some Smith literature one time at a local shop, it made a big deal about the handle innards being silver-brazed. IIRC, the mixer arrangements are different from a Victor. And I don't remember which brand had a metal diaphram in their regulators and which one had a rubber/cloth one.

Smith's stuff has always been higher than comparable Victor stuff around here, when it can be had at all. Tips are usually 20-30% higher, when they can be found.

My mid-sized O/A set is a Victor, a gunsmith went out of business and I got it reasonable at the auction. #2 tip was worn out, the rest of the outfit was pristine. Probably just used it for brazing and bending and welding bolt handles. Cutting head was as-new.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

You claim to have too many tools, but I have only seen one thread where you actually said that you had one tool. So do you have proof of ownership of all your tools. Proof of ownership of one tool?

Do you have a credit card with any balance on it? If so does that mean that you really do not have any tool you can call your own? So should we call you " No Tools ".

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I was going to say those ring burners are easy to find for Acetylene/Air torches, but then I went looking.

Wow, where did they all go? Goss and Prestolite used to make them. I have a set of 3 different sized C-flame tips, that fit a standard Acetylene / Air torch. They used to be available all over the place, but not anymore.

Prestolite still lists C-flame tips for use with an adapter on a Prestolite W-200 torch

Torch

Tip
Adapter

Uniweld lists a dual-tip torch tip for a prestolite style torch for tube work

Ernie Leimkuhler

You are being an asshole. Just thought I would point that out, in case you missed it.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

You did not answer any of my questions. Why not? Do you have any tools? Do you not have proof of ownership for everyone of your tools? Do you owe anyone anything? Where do you live so we can have the police come by your place and check for stolen property? Gunner has said where he lives so I would guess he is not worried about the police checking for stolen property. But you have not said where your tools are. Sounds like you have something to hide. It would not surprise me to find you had no tools. It would also be no surprise to find that you are involved in criminal activity as you are afraid to post your real name or address. What is it that you do? Very doubtful that it has anything to do with metalworking as you never offer any metalworking advice to anyone on RCM.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Those are serious allegations. Do you have any proof that Gunner does not own those tools? If you do have proof, I would suggest you inform the authorities.

But if you do not have any proof, you have libeled Gunner. And therefore he can sue you. So which is it? Do you have proof? Or do you hide behind a nym so you can not be found?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

IP Information - 4.131.16.103

IP address: 4.131.16.103 Reverse DNS: dialup-4.131.16.103.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net. Reverse DNS authenticity: [Verified] ASN: 3356 ASN Name: Level3 (Level 3 Communications) IP range connectivity: 6 Registrar (per ASN): RIPE Country (per IP registrar): US [United States] Country Currency: USD [United States Dollars] Country IP Range: 4.0.0.0 to 4.255.255.255 Country fraud profile: Normal City (per outside source): Bedford, Ohio Country (per outside source): US [United States] Private (internal) IP? No IP address registrar: whois.arin.net Known Proxy? No Link for WHOIS: 4.131.16.103

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I did not say that you were. What I asked is whether you can prove ownership of every tool you possess. And of course there was no answer from you.

I do not approve of those who willingly do not pay their bills. I suspect that Gunner would willingly pay his bills if he were able to do so.

No. I do not approve of you stealing tools. I asked if you could prove ownership of all your tools and you evaded the question. Therefore I suspect you can not prove ownership and the tools may be stolen.

I see you are using the word " may ". But you truly do not know. So as far as I am concerned you are making false accusations.

Neither have you. Yet you have a equally good reason to prove your ownership.

And you too. You still have have not answered my questions.

Very silly behavior on your part.

Your personal ethics are also on display. Hiding behind a nym. Afraid to let anyone know where you live. Attack those possibly less fortunate than yourself. Afraid to answer questions about your sources for tools.

Reply to
dcaster

I don't think Gunner has anything to worry about. After all, TMT is talking about some person he knows called "Gummer" - spelled with two Ms. IF TMT can't even get that little detail correct, why should nay of the rest of his blather be credible? Not that I think TMT a lying sack of retarded cat scat {cat scat does have some useful properties}, just saying.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Still trying to change the subject and not answer the questions.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I do not think Gunner has anything to worry about. TMT is afraid of his/her own shadow. Dan

Reply to
dcaster

And still trying to change the subject and avoid answering questions.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Dan

I do not doubt that you think your shadow is awesome. It scares you.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

You keep wanting Gunner to do things that you are not willing to do. Why do you not post the proof of purchase on all the tools you claim to have?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster