Steel Prices

After Iraq and the hurricane disasters, has anyone noticed changes in steel prices? How do they compare in your area from last year and is there talk of coming increases?

Reply to
Justin Time

It goes something like this:

You walk up to the counter. You place an order. You pay. You pull around back and pick it up. You go.

Steel prices are just like anything else. It is only good for when you are standing there.

I remember buying gas for 29 cents a gallon in 1966, and that was for premium gas. I paid $3800 cash for a new 1966 Cadillac. I bought a brand new 2200 sf home in 1969 on a golf course in Las Vegas for $42,000.

Prices are only good for the day you are there. Look how much gas prices can change in a day, and that's on the SAME gas that was in the SAME tank YESTERDAY.

It is painful, but crying about it don't help. You just pass it on to the consumer. (which might just be you)

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Between the first of the year and mid July rolled shape prices dropped 20%. I haven't noticed any increases in prices for almost a year, but I haven't been keeping REAL close track.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Prices had gone up - the scrap price that helps control the real stuff - went high. The export price was it - China was importing tons and tons - (like Japan before the war) and was making junk and buildings with it - Remember their monster Dam ? -

They have plenty and Plenty of ore there but decided to use easier to melt not smelt.

I have noticed a slight drop but waiting for a larger one to help balance the delta.

JTMcC wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I've not ordered any myself lately but someone the other day told me another welder in town was complaining about a big increase in price. Something on the order of $0.23 over a short time ago. I know the last HR I got was between $0.48 and $0.55 depending on size and shape. This guy was talking about $0.75 for similar stuff.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Prices had gone up quite a lot, but that's old news, they've been dropping for almost a year. The drop was drastic in the spring. We've bought close to 100,000 lbs since June, at prices no where near the peak of late last year. Of course before the run up prices were about at 1970's levels, everyone leaves that part out.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Reply to