Stick welding aluminum

Simply out of curiosity, I tried stick welding aluminum (1/8" pieces) with DCEP, 100 amps, 1/8" electrode. I wanted to experiment.

To my surprise, I learned that if I drag the rod carefully, along the seam, I receive a workable weld that would be good enough for a garden ornament at least (not that I would trust myself to, say, weld an aluminum trailer or something).

My only issue is electrode sticking to work too much. Maybe using a strike plate would help?

Also, could it be that a weld would look better than it is in reality (ie, no sticking of metal together)?

I am going to play with more aluminum scrap...

Ignoramus27098

Hows come you didn't mention what type of rod you used ??

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

The rod is called US Forge Aluminum, I bought it at Menards, our local home improvement chain.

Ignoramus28822