Stick Welding with inverter welder and 5 kW generator

I would like to have the ability to weld off-site, without the need to buy a dedicated engine welder. I have a Thermal Arc LS-300 inverter stick welder, and a Honda 5 kW generator.

This would not be for big welding projects. More like, weld some lifting eye to some machine to lift it for scrap, make a makeshift ramp, weld scrap together to make a scrap pile more stable, that sort of thing.

Do you think that I will be able to weld with 1/8" rod, with a 20A

220v outlet on the Honda 5 kw generator, without tripping the breaker too often?

20A 220v = 4.4 kW

Welding at 35v 120A = 4200 kW

I have a feeling that I will be able to do it, if I keep the arc short. Right or wrong?

Ignoramus15036

I used to pop the 30A (clothes dryer) breaker when I would use 1/8" rod with my transformer-based welder; maybe the inverter is different though?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

It should work fine as long as your inverter likes the generator's output. I am not sure how old your Thermal Arc is, but some of the older inverters didn't like the AC put out by small generators.

I know my Miller Maxstar 200DX inverter runs fine from a 5Kw generator.

Just try it. It won't hurt the inverter either way.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

^^^^^^^

4,200 W

It is an older inverter. The Honda generator is also kind of old, not the new inverter style generator.

Will do, I would be happy if I could do it.

Ignoramus15036

I am confused. Are you trying to post something so there are some discussi ons about metal working and welding? Yes that must be the reason.

Otherwise the logical thing to do is to try your inverter welder using your generator. That gives the answer. If it does not work, then post what yo u did and that it did not work because ............... And ask if anyone h as done it and had it work. And if it does work, you might post how big a rod you were able to use with your welder powered by your ge nerator.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Possibly you need a breaker more suited to inductive loads on the circuit if you use that welder. I've welded many things with 1/8" rod and larger and never tripped the breaker on a 30A circuit but then when I had the house rewired I mentioned the stuff in the garage and they fitted the heaviest duty domestic breaker. The welder is 180A @ 50V OCV or 150A @ 80V OCV IIRC. Down the workshop recently we had a 16A breaker replaced as it was a B class and would trip from a 1.5HP motor start-up surge, when changed for a C class breaker all was good and no more problems with unexpected tripping.

Reply to
David Billington

I ended up installing a dedicated 60A breaker a couple of years ago, so I no longer have trouble with the breaker tripping.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I was watching the voltage and current when I tried to run my washing machine from a 120V 20A Powermate generator. The voltage drooped, the motor wouldn't spin fast enough to disengage the start winding, and current limited at less than 30A (IIRC 26~28A?) without popping the breaker. I shut it off quickly and didn't take good readings.

It started easily when I pushed the motor in to loosen the belt. Running current is 8A or less.

I wouldn't risk a higher or differently rated breaker in the genny. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

what small (can be lifted and carried around/doesn't need wheels and cart) mig welders do you have for sale? you can also just email me, drop the munge part.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

The smallest MIG welder I have is a Millermatic 250.

I have a suitcase stick welder (another LS-300), which I need to test prior to offering it.

Ignoramus15036

that's a bit too large (have to drag in up and down stairs and power will be limited to around 20A @240). If something like a millermatic 180 pops up let me know.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader