stripping an old UPS for suitable parts-converting an AC buzzbox welder to AC/DC welder unit (pix)

I've dismantled what looks to me like a huge (probably 1987 vintage) standby UPS (uninteruptable power supply). seems to contain a nice big rectifier bridge (with four diodes and 2 'unknown' black things on it). please confiirm. attached to same unit are two small mini-circuit boards; they serve 'function unknown'. anybody with ANY clues whatsoEVER re suitabilities of these ol' parts for the conversion welcome to respond :-).

here it IS:

also found within same unit a huge transformer, which might become (after being partially unwound then part REwound) the core transformer of a 'homebrewed' high frequency converter ('sometime later' :-). comments invited re wether or not some/any, or none of these parts would be suitable for purposes intended (mainly the AC to AC/DC miller thunderbird buzzbox conversion purpose), and, if that's 'totally unknown without their specs', what test procedures I could follow to determine wether or not these parts are a. in fact still 'good', and/or b. how their specific capacities,'specs', or ratings can be determined? (when not found on net)

ps - some of the threads below gave me this hairbrained idea ;-)

change your AC welder to AC/DC- *how*

Tig-conversion ideas for buzzbox to AC/DC/TIG box....

thread on AC/DC diodes/chokes and bridges

SCR to change AC to AC/DC welders...maybe

maybe use 150 amp diodes in the bridge

built a BULLETPROOOF bridge rectifier....

and some of the "high frequency unit - build it yourself idea" threads:

re hi frequency DIY

Arc Stabilizer-homemade DIY high-frequency ADAPTER++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"arc starters"-thread

coil-Construction, Best Links (tesla coil primary circuits and "high frequency adapter welder" boxes are VERY similar, components-wise, according to some threads)

Basement-obtaining tesla parts VERY CHEAPLY-how

Reply to
dave

"dave" skrev i en meddelelse news:O6MOd.106426$Jk5.72634@lakeread01...

Found a few parts that may be of interest:

The 2 black things with a metal tab in each end, mounted on the left side of the PCB are wirewound powerresistors....

The shiny, transistor-looking thing on the heatsink in the lower left corner is a LM317 voltage regulator, most likely a 5 or 10 amp version.... look for a datasheet for LM317 in a TO3 package..

The black thingie is most likely a thermal cutout thingie

/peter

Crosspost removed.

Google is your friend. I searched on PTC10021 and got a bunch of hits.

It seems the things you are calling diodes, the size of a nickle thing, are actually transistors. PTC10021 250watt (max)

Generally speaking you use the top number, in this case PTC10021, to search on. The bottom number may or may not be the date code.

Yes that black thingie is a thermal cutout.

Specs for LM317 should be all over the web, you should also find a specs sheet showing how to use more transistors to allow the 317 to handle more current.

The barrel type diodes usually have number going around the body. Your first picture shows the number going along the body and I can't read all of it. I believe that 8613 is the year and week the diode was made.

I see MOV's, line filters, amps, bunch of other typical stuff. Be aware of house numbered devices, you can run into trouble trying to find specs. Also be aware of those big capacitors, you have no idea if there is still a charge on them!

Hang out in sci.electronics.components for a while, lurk and learn. There should be a FAQ in that group with links to component specs sites.

One final note, if that UPS wasn't working before you took it apart then the parts you salvage out of it may or may not be good.

Thor

Reply to
Thor

Looks like a small computer or controller supply - not a large one much less huge.

Ours fit on a wall and had a battery room. It was a medium size unit. That was an 87 model. X-ide batteries.

The supply in a PC is larger than that unit from the pictures seen. You have multiple bridges and a voltage regulator on the main board. The small glass beads are rectifiers.

Mart> I've dismantled what looks to me like a huge (probably 1987 vintage)

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn