? structural stud welding - AWS D1.1

Can someone describe for me what's in AWS D1.1 regarding structural stud welding?

I can't seem to find a copy-- not even via inter-library loan. I can't justify buying it for $344 retail if some good info isn't there.

Specifically, I want to know about stick welding the studs.

AWS has another pub too: AWS C5.4-93 Recommended Practices for Stud Welding, but I have the same question for that.

--wahzoo

Reply to
wahzoo

When I went through that book about 4 years ago, stud welding was covered using a "stud welding machine" working similar to a spot welder. I've never done stud welding so my memory is not very sticky in that area. I don't remember any SMAW specs on it but I may be wrong. A college book store near you will have it to peek in and some welding suppliers have the book for reference.

Reply to
Zorro

I did a job for Water and Power in Boulder City, Nevada, about 15 years ago. It was all red metal studs. They required me to weld it with 3/32" 6011 straight polarity. Those rods run very nicely, and it was very easy. I believe that government code would require a pretty good weld, but don't know if your job will have the same specs.

Can't give you any specific codes or information or places to look, just telling you what was required on a government job. I used the rods on lots of other stud welding jobs, and inspectors passed them. Of course, the welds were outstanding to start with................ ;-) Welding with 6011 straight polarity is easy except for vertical up. I did most all passes in vertical traveling down, and there is adequate fusion on that thin of a metal in that welding direction. Flat and horizontal was easy, too, and if you have an infinitely variable machine, you can dial it in. I was using a Miller Thunderbolt, and it did fine at those low settings.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You really need the code. I am drawing from the Canadian which is similar. In the first place you will have to use a low hydrogen process. check for required preheat if you are attaching to heavy plate. You should grind off the aluminum nub in the center since you are not going to shoot it. stud diameter ------ fillet size

6-11 5 mm 12 6mm 16-22 8mm 24 10

Seriously you need a copy of your code. It would be more than stupid to start without full knowledge. You are likely to be looking pretty foolish when some inspector drops the hammer on you. Bin there... done that! Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Thanks. Two questions. What do you mean by "red metal", and what size were the studs? The ones I'll be using need to be at least a

1/2" in diameter.
Reply to
wahzoo

Red metal studs are similar in size to a 2x4, are a c shape, and IIRC are .065" metal.

What do you mean, "1/2" diameter"?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Try this site

Randy Zimmerman

Both of those are at work, so IIRC...

we stick welded some studs on vertical panels where the Nelson gun just wasn't cutting it. Basically, we shot them with the gun, got incomplete fusion, came back and welded the perimiter.

Tested with a hammer in the usual way.

I don't remember if the C5.4 has any info on your topic, but it's not a big book and is worth it. It's only $45.

Reply to
Rich Jones

Aha, here's where we have our disconnect. These are shear studs. They are normally shot with a stud gun that uses the stud itself as the electrode. A shear stud looks like a strutural bolt but without threads and of course no hex head but round. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
wahzoo

The inter lib loan system in the US is probably the best goverment freebie going. I was finally able the get a loan of the AWS D1.1 (the

2004 ed no less) and read the 4 or so pages I needed. Thanks fer yer support anyway!
Reply to
wahzoo