Stub grip electrode holders

Has anyone tried them, are they any good.

mcmaster page 3291

Reply to
Ignoramus17861

When I did allot of stick that is what I used. When you have to bend an electrode to weld in an odd place it stays just where you clamp it. I got so I hated the clothes pin type. Steve

Reply to
Up North

I used those for years in the shipyards. I didn't even realize there was any other kind until I was about 35 years old. They work fine, but if you want the rod at some funny angle you have to bend it.

I tried a Bernard electrode holder on my stick machine but after reflection went back to the Tweco (clothespin) type. They don't cost too much, Igor, why don't you just pick one up and try it?

(clone)

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I have used one of these made by Bernard for years on both my portable and shop machines. Personally they are my preference, they hold a rod like chucking a drill bit.

On the UP side -

Often when you have to bend a rod, to get the approach you want, the rod can rotate in a conventional holder - not so with this type. What you bend, is what you get. Really good for hard to reach areas.

When you encounter minor sticking on start-up, this holder will never loose the rod. When you get a HARD stick, you have to twist your wrist, to dump the rod before it melts. They hold that good.

Heat will never weaken the spring that holds it closed, there is none, and you never have to change the anvils.

On the DOWN side -

You have to twist the handle half a turn or so to drop a stub. I often just pull the stub out with a gloved hand, rather than twist it that far. It's kind of like - twist it once and you can pull the stub out - twist it twice and it will fall out. Compared to a conventional holder, where it is always easy to drop the stub.

Reply to
Maxwell

That's what I use. I like it a lot better than the clothespin (used those in class, bought this when buying and comparing.) Advantages - you can burn the whole rod (it's called shortstub for a reason), and it has a much better grip/contact on the rod, AFAICT.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

They don't release a stuck rod as easily.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

They have been around for years. I don't like them because the rod can only be inserted at one angle so they aren't as versatile as a normal "clamp" stinger. But I'd guess that they would work well for one position (flat, maybe) welding.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

Not at all, just as versatile as any.

Reply to
Maxwell

yes, well you can bend the rod if you want to get into a corner.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

All my stick machines except 1, has these. I love em.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Something that might not be obvious is the way a rod mounts and bends in this holder.

Not only does the holder grip so firmly, that bending even 3/16 rods in any direction is not a problem, without it slipping in the holder. (Imagine chucking a rod in a drill chuck.) But it grips them so far out on the end, that a rod can be bent without fracturing the coating, and reducing it's yield. You can also burn a rod farther down, without scorching your insulators.

They really are superior with the exception of easily releasing the rod stub, and cost. They are a good bit more expensive, but worth the difference in the cost of consumables.

Reply to
Maxwell

I totally agree. The only thing I can add to that is ergonomically, they fit MY hand a lot better than the clothespin type. Less hand fatigue. Just a better feel.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

OK. Now I'm curious and you guys are going to have to explain to my wife why I have to keep buying all this welding stuff! :)

I'm on my way to order one now because the monster Lincoln 500 amp stick machine I just picked up has a very crappy electrode holder and ground clamp.

rvb

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

Simple, she's a girl, just explain the importance of keeping a firm grip on your rod!

Reply to
Maxwell

Hahaha. But, you said it. She's a girl. She'll just sarcastically say something like, "heh heh heh you're a funny guy, Rick." I know you all can't hear it, but I can see it now.

Too late, though. I already ordered one. :)