Thermal Arc 186 running off a Miller Bobcat 250

I was looking at Miller Tig welders in the $2000 price range, and I got ste ered to a Thermal Arc 186 at my local welding supply.

Is there likely to be any problems with using the Miller's 220 plug with th e one on the Thermal Arc 186. I could not find any plug specs. Also, any op tions about the Thermal Arc 186. It seemed about $300 less the the equivale nt Miller model. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Bart K

The Thermal Arcs are good, but Miller inverters are some of the best in the world. Thermal Arcs used to be a lot cheaper than Miller so it made sense. With only $300 difference I would go for the Miller.

The only technical ding I have against Thermal is the make you buy a separate pendant controller to access the sequencer, where Miller lets you use the foot pedal.

Also Miller Maxstar and Dynasty 200's can run from any voltage: 80 to

500 volts, single or 3-phase, 50 or 60 Hz.

Thermal Arcs in that range are limited to 220v single phase.

I have owned a Miller Maxstar 200DX for 14 years and it has been a flawless machine.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie, can you confirm this, that I can plug a Maxstar 200SD into 110v and it will work? How many welding amps can I get from a regular 110v

15A circuit?

I have two Maxstar 200SD's and I may keep one, I am very tempted to do so, ESPECIALLY if I can get meaningful welding amps from 110v, like at least 80 amps.

Ignoramus18163

I used my Maxstar 200DX for years doing location TIG and stick welding for structural steel, breweries, and on ships. I ran mine from 110v, 220v Single, 230v 3ph, 440v single, 460v 3ph and

575v 3ph. They sound really weird plugged into 3 phase, but run great.

Plugged into 110v you only get about 115 amps out of it, so you can run

1/8" 7018 and 6010, but just barely. I preferred to run 3/32" rod if all I had was 110v feed.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler