Thin sheet metal...beginner...

I have been lurking on this great group for a long time. I have decided to begin welding with a 110V MIG package...I have an immediate need for patching sheet metal on my old Subaru. I love auto repair, so I am sure I will use it for other sheet metal in the future.

After reviewing this group, I am confident that either the Lincoln 135T (ProMig or 3200HD) or Hobart Handler 140 will serve me well. But I have seen in a few places comments that the Lincoln has a more stable/sweeter arc than the Hobart (or Miller) in this category. Since I am a beginner and will be working in some tough positions, I want the most stable arc I can get.

Can anyone comment from recent experience about the arc quality among the 110V migs (Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, even HTP)?

Thanks.

Reply to
scottinhim

I can only give my experience with the Millermatic 135. I'm at the moment building a railbuggy and would not trade the welder for anything(If I had

220 in the garage I'd have a 210 though). I can't imagine any better beads I'm getting from the Miller 135. We have a big three phase Airco at the shop and I would pick my 135 any day of the week. That's my two cents worth so take it for what it's worth. I would spend the $100 bucks more for the Miller over the Hobart for the fact that the wire feed on the Hobart is plastic versus metal on the Miller. The Lincoln could be just as good but I can't help you there. I'm a little bias for the blue machines after buying my little Maxstar 150. It amazes me every time I turn on that little lunchbox.
Reply to
buke9

lincoln or miller/hobart will serve you well. lincon advantage : you can pick up parts at LOWE or Home depot Miller has a better wire feed roller , no tools neded to swap rollers miller has a slightly larger case= better cooling miller claims they have better duty cycle.

I had a pro ig 135 and it worked great. also had a miller 175 I liked it even more. my miller 210 is a keeper , sometime I wish I would have a 251. (Used to have)

I like miller better.

any of the 110 V units will do body work on your car. advantage is that you can plug it in anywhere and easy to transport.

Reply to
acrobat ants

Thanks for the comments. So, it sounds like there are no real differences in arc quality amond these major brand 110V MIGs...must have been some unfounded, brand bias that I saw before.

Thanks again.

Reply to
scottinhim

Scott, I very recently retired from the army. I am (was) a chief warrant officer specializing in welding/machining. I am familar with the

110volt MIGs you mentioned & would tell you that I don't care for either of them...and that is coming from someone absolutely crazy about most of Miller's products. Instead I recomend you take a look at the readywelderII. While you will either need batteries or another welding machine to power it (it will run on either cc or cv machines). This spool gun uses standard #2 Tweco tips, has no liners or rollers to buy...& does a great job on everything from 16 gauge sheet metal to heavy aluminum repair. You can see it at
if after looking at it...you still want a 110volt machine...I'd recomend the little miller over the lincoln. Hope this helped.

-Wayne-

Reply to
clutchglass

Look at the ThermalArc Fabricator 131, alot cheaper than lincoln or miller. My local community college runs these alongside Millers in their workshop for beginning MIG classes and I prefer to use the ThermalArc over the Millers. I even bought one as my first MIG. They run an .035 wire quite nicely (usually not recommened for 110v migs).

HTP welders are also very good, have never heard a bad thing about em, they're well known in the racing industry, my next machine will be a 220v MIG from HTP.

-Tom

Reply to
TT

Thermal Arc's Fabricator machines are pretty rare on the West Coast. Lots of TA inverters and plasma cutters, but for some reason most welding suppliers don't bother trying to sell the Fabricator machines.

A lot of the internals are the same as the old Hobart MIG machines since Thermal Arc ended up with a bunch of the Hobart engineers after the split up of Hobart.

HTP makes all their MIG machines in house, which I respect, plus they are really personal about customer support.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler