Tig conversion of AC/DC Stick Welder

Greetings-Considering purchasing the components that will allow this hobbyist to do Tig on his 250 AMP Miller AC/DC Dialarc arc welder. Will appreciate suggestions on brand names, practicality, etc. Thanks, Jim.

Reply to
Jim L.

I have nothing of value to say, but I am working on converting a DC TIG welder (Hobart Cybertig) to a AC/DC TIG welder.

Keep us posted...

Ignoramus18555

Here's a link to the only TIG conversion kit I'm aware of that won't cost you as much as buying a TIG welder:

But all you really need is a TIG torch (preferably with a gas control valve), an argon regulator, a tank of argon and a way to hook it all up. It's scratch-start DC only but so is the above kit.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I bought the Tig Depot unit, it was only marginally useful without the high-freq unit. No current control on the fly and you may have trouble keeping the post flow of gas going without sustaining the arc.

Other than those drawbacks, I was into the system for around $650, not including my 20 year old AC/DC welder.

I'd really advise you get the high freq unit, makes life so much easier.

Reply to
34FiveWindow

high frequency arc stabilizers are sold on ebay all the time. You can also build one, tere is plenty of tesla coil people who could advise you.

I recently sold one for $400+.

I would suggest to simply look for a used 3 phase tig welder with HF. It may be cheaper to buy one and build a phase converter for it (piece of cake). That's what I have.

Ignoramus26315

I got mine on eBay, $125 plus $25 shipping, about 8 months ago. Works fine IF you don't really want to weld anything thincker than about

3/16". Thats all I needed for my project.

my '34 Ford Project:

34FiveWindow

Thanks for the replies. For output current control,the Dialarc uses a large rheostat to vary the current to the control winding of a saturable reactor. In order to make it convenient to control heat from the torch, one would have to replace the rheo. with some solid state device controlled by a low powered pot at the torch. Perhaps someone has done this? Jim.

Reply to
Jim L.

What are the electrical characteristics of that rheostat?

Ignoramus24489

Rheo is 15 ohms, 150 Watt. Jim.

Reply to
Jim L.