TIG Inverter Reliability

Now that they've been available for a few years, what's the concensus on reliability of inverter TIG machines versus transformer units? I'm speaking strictly for hobbyists, not commercial users.

Is now the time to buy an inverter rig, or are failure rates and repair costs still too high?

Reply to
Jerry Gardner

I think my TA185 came with a 5 year warranty, that was enough for me. Just the floorspace I got to keep was worth the entry price.

IMHO electronics things break most, when moved the most. Mine has been perched on a wheeled cart, and doesn't get jostled around much at all.

Rod

Jerry Gardner wrote:

Reply to
cervelorod

My Thermal Dynamics (now Thermal Arc) TIG is about 12 years old and still works like new.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Miller and Lincoln Inverters are as reliable and durable as their transformer machines, but inverters tend to see rougher service sicne they are so portable. If treated as gently as transformer machines they should last just as long. This is according to both of my friends who work in welder repair shops.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks, that's good to hear.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

i was gonna get the miller 180sd, but when i saw how much the thing weighed i said forget it. got myself a esab 161 unit. take a look at the HTP stuff, very good.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Gosh - I have a 180SD - the only weight issue I had was un-crating it in my truck and rolling it out the back (steep driveway so the tailgate was almost at the driveway - by plan) but once on the steep slope - keeping it from racecaring down was the fun part. Now it sits in a good spot in my shop - so I weld outside and it is inside. Can move it if wanted.

Yes - it isn't a backpacking machine that is for certain.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Kryptoknight wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn