TIG Q: Downside to using larger electrode?

When TIGing ferrous or copper alloys where a pointed electrode is required, is there any downside to using an electrode larger than the recommended size, other than possibly the cost if you find yourself re-grinding frequently? It seems to me that a point is a point, and as long as the electrode is large enough to handle the current, its size doesn't really matter. Correct, or not?

Bert

Reply to
Bert

Rod: Yes. More gas coverage, longer gas post flow, collets and lenses and cups need to be larger also adding to cost. It takes longer to sharpen a larger electrode, when it is contaminated breaking off that electrode is like breaking a finger of money every time you do it. Besides, arc stability on the electrodes low end of the current will add to arc blow.

Rod Ryker... It is reasoning and faith that bind truth.

Reply to
Rod Ryker

I find that trying to do small welds with a large tungsten it is harder to get a low amperage stable arc.

There is too much potential from the sides of the tungsten, so it can make the arc dance around, or arcblow.

It can work and I have done it, but you will find that tayloring your tungsten to your amperage range will give you better arc stability and easier starts.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks, Ernie, and Rod, for the info. This brings up another question. What is the optimal angle for grinding electrodes, i.e., the best balance between arc stability and cost? Does the best angle vary with electrode composition or size, amperage, metal to be welded, etc.?

Bert

Reply to
Bert

Here is more info than you probably thought was available.

Ernie Leimkuhler

Very informative! Thanks.

Reply to
Bert