TIG question

I have something wierd going on with the HF start on my TIG machine. I have a Lincoln Invertec V205-Twith a PT-9 torch, 1.5 lanthanated tungsten and gas lens. Lately when doing DC TIG on steel, more times when not when I activate the torch on a cold section I get no action for about a second and then a massive global arc from up inside the cup. The arc iseems to come from the edge of the brass outer ring of the gas lens since it is melted when this happens. The condition of the electrode doesn't seem to matter, it happens even with a freshly ground and polished tip. I also tried a new clean cup to no avail. Anybody have any ideas? TIA Bob S.

Reply to
Robert Scibienski

Try cold scratching.

Cold Scratching means just what is says. You scratch the tungsten on the base metal with no welding current flowing.

Do this every time before you try to strike the arc and you will get more reliable first strikes.

Why?

When you are TIG welding and stop, the arc collapses and in the arc stream are a certain amount of vaporized metal ions.

These ions will tend to cling to the surface of the tungsten as it cools, where they oxidize once the shielding gas stops.

So now you have a microscopically thin layer of metal oxides over the surface of your tungsten, acting as a really good electrical insulator.

When you scratch the cold tungsten on the base metal is breaks a hole in that oxide allowing the arc to strike easily.

Try it and you will find it will make your arc starts much more dependable.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
bitternut

No.

That is because the Dynasty uses a "capacitor discharge" high frequency generator. This creates a bigger spike of high freq with greater focus so it can pop through the oxide layer.

Transformer machines have traditional high freq generators which don't create as intense a spike of high freq.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Wow I thought it was just me that did that...I never knew the reason why it works until now. I thought it was just "luck" that when I touched the tungsten to the piece the arc would start more reliably. Learn somethin new every day...Thanks Ernie!!

Reply to
Doobie

I TIG weld stainless steel exhaust ducts for an aerospace company.

After tacking for a while, the HF arc has trouble establishing itself. I can 'cold scratch' for about 5-6 more starts then is becomes useless. The tungsten looks like it has been contaminated by a very thin layer of aluminium.

Since the parts are held in aluminium jigs and we work on large aluminium table tops that get scratched alot, I figure there is a little alum.dust providing the contamination.

Steph

Reply to
s-boulet

What machine is this? You may need to pull the high freq. points, clean and reset them. It tends to boost the output a bit. The high freq capacitors also age, and may need replacing.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I believe its a Miller 350 LX ( with a great little water cooled WP20 Weldcraft torch... I love these tiny things. Can hold them any way you want ...like a pensil, upside down and by pinching the tungsten cap, whatever is comfortable.)

I'm not sure Maintenance would like me poking around the bottom of the machine but I'll see what I can do.

Reply to
s-boulet

A 350LX should be new enough not to have that problem, unless you have a lot of grinding dust in your shop.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler