TIG Spool rack

To fulfill my Clever Quota for the week...

I have been trying to figure out how to use spoolgun spools for short pieces of small diameter wire for TIG welding.

After buying a real wire straightener off of eBay I finally figured it out.

The photo Album is here

The wire guides are 1/2" bolts with 10-32 nuts TIG brazed off center. A 1/4" x 10-32 screw is loctited into the nut. You rotate each guide to adjust the amount of deflection you need to end up with a straight wire. The final guide is a short piece of 3/8" square stock with a 1/16" hole in it.

The eye screw keeps the wire feeding into the guides. The spool itself is kept from free spinning by tensioning the axle bolt with a nylock nut against a lock washer. There is also a nylon washer between the the spool and the wood to reduce friction.

My rack has 5 spools.

0.035" 4043 Aluminum 0.047" 4043 Aluminum 0.035" Silicon Bronze 0.024" 308L SS 0.024" ER70S-2 steel

This will go on top of my TIG machine. Just grab the end of the wire with pliers and pull out a short piece, snip and there you have it.

Let me know if the album is not accessible.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

(...)

Sounds cool, Ernie! My "membership is pending" so I won't be able to see your pictures as soon as I'd like.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

OK, I'm in! Very nifty. I also wonder if it would benefit from a belt pulley on each screw to protect the wire.

(Elegance, Creeping) Also consider a ground lathe bit in a piece of square tube driven by a solenoid for automatic 'wire snipping' action!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Could you possibly post to the metalworking dropbox so we don't have to deal with the yahoo crap?

Reply to
Pete C.

(...)

Good idea.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I didn't think the dropbox was still operational.

The files are now at the dropbox under the filename; TIG spool rack

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

It's still operational, I believe it was just moved to the mwdropbox.com domain so that the presumably valuable metalworking.com domain could be sold.

Thanks!

Reply to
Pete C.

(...)

Thanks, Ernie!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I seem to recall it shut down - but maybe not or it came alive. It was hosted by a company. A small one. Now maybe independent.

Hum.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn