TIG tubing

anyone build custom exhaust headers for cars/trucks?? i'm interested in knowing your TIG setup (finger switch, machine used, etc). and would like to know about the tools used to cut and fit pieces together.

thanks.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Lincoln 175. Regular old foot pedal. I use a chop saw to cut the pieces and either a belt/disc sander or grinder to get the fit perfect. And a torch for shaping the tubing to the exhasut ports. The Hand Amptrol comes in really handy for cage work.

Depending on the application your material selection will differ. For our oval car I just used Mild steel tubing since they tend to get tweaked all the time anyway. Cheaper to build and they don't break quite as easy when jamie smacks the wall. :)

304ss is an overall good choice for pretty much everything else except for use on a turbo application where the heat can be alot higher. However I did recently slap together a 304 turbo header and it seems to be holding up, my supplier says it's a pretty high grade of 304 and about the only composition difference from 321 is anyone build custom exhaust headers for cars/trucks?? i'm interested in
Reply to
Ron Shearer

do use use a T-dolly for shaping??

chop saw?, you use a carbon wheel or a toothed wet saw ?? how about a bandsaw.

i like my torch mounted on/of switch for doing dc work in odd places.

i thinking about doinf a header project for my 2002 Tacoma. i have all the tools, but wondering if i can skillfully cut and fit the pieces into the correct length...

Reply to
Kryptoknight

For parts and materiels these guys carry everything.

Ernie Leimkuhler

yeah, i know their site very well. i deal with Vince there. they build on a daily basis....

Reply to
Kryptoknight