TIG vs. micro torch?

I had made up my mind to buy a small TIG welder for my bodywork, either a Lincoln 175 Pro or Miller Syncrowave 180, in order to make nicer welds with less build than I can get with my MIG welder. In many cases, I would be puddling very close joints in sheetmetal with no filler rod. I used to do this with my Harris oxy-acetylene torch, but warpage was always a problem. Recently, I've been looking at micro torches, such as the Meco or the Smith Airline AW1A/AW10A as a much cheaper alternative. Anybody have experience using these on 20 to 28 gauge sheetmetal? How do the results compare to a TIG? It probably isn't quite as nice or as versatile as a TIG, but for $120 compared to $1500 for a TIG machine, it's worthy of consideration.

Reply to
rcp

The torches that you're looking are certainly usable for light guage steel and much larger work. I own one much like the two you mention.

At one time I did some light sheetmetal welding with a Smith Little Torch O/A set. The control on steel was as good as TIG and in my hands was probably a bit better. Within its range the Little Torch was excellent and very easy to handle.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

I watched one of the EAA gas welding instructors, at Oshkosh, use the Smith Little Torch to weld a "T" out of 4130 steel aircraft tubing. He had just demonstrated the "T" with a bigger touch, probably an Airline. Some one asked if he could do it with a Little Torch. The questioner let him use a torch that he had just purchased. The instructor proceeded to do another "T". Using their #6 tip, it went slower, but still looked like a very good weld.

I have one at home and work. For miniature to light welding and brazing they're great.

Reply to
Ken Moffett