Needing opinion on TIG welder. All 10 messages in topic - view as tree

From: Limey - view profile Date: Fri, Jan 28 2000 12:00 am Not yet rated

show options

Hi, I am hoping to get some advice or suggestions about what would be the best kind of TIG welder for my application, bearing in mind that I am a 'wannabe' at this point, not a 'weldor'. My plan is to build bicycle frames, using .035 wall 4130 tubing, so I don't need a machine that does stick or aluminum but I do need the machine to be able to weld some 3/16" material.

Cost is a consideration but it is not the bottom line. I'm 59, so I don't see as well as I used to and will need all the help I can get from the machine.

At this point the Miller Maxstar 91 is looking pretty good but I spoke to a couple of local dealers, neither of whom carried this model and one told me that what I really needed was the EconoTIG, the other said the Syncrowave 180. (I don't believe either of them)

In the 'options' for the Maxstar they list a 'TIG pulsing control' and a 'High frequency arc starter'. Since I am a newbie, that goes right over my head.

If anyone could offer me an opinion here, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Lewis. "Benbrook's Best 'Bent Bicyclist"

  • Sent from RemarQ
    The Internet's Discussion Network * The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

From: Roger Duncan - view profile Date: Fri, Jan 28 2000 12:00 am Not yet rated

show options

They are giving you good advice just not telling you why. You are talking about welding thin aluminum for that you need a machine that puts out square wave ac current or the equivalent term from that manufacture. From Miller Syncrowave machines put out square wave AC. The machines you wanted put out DC that doesn't have the desired cleaning effect when welding aluminum. You can weld aluminum with a dc welding machine but that process I believe is for thick material. In December aluminum welding was a big topic at this news group.

From: Limey - view profile Date: Fri, Jan 28 2000 12:00 am Not yet rated

show options

Hi, Roger, I think you might have misread my post.

>> My plan is to build bicycle frames, using .035 wall 4130 tubing, so

I don't need a machine that does stick or aluminum but I do need the machine to be able to weld some 3/16" material. machine to be able to weld some 3/16" material.

Back to the bike frames. For 0.035" steel tubing you will need a machine with better low end control than the Miller Econotig can deliver. I know, I owned one for 5 years. The other 2 machines in this category , the Miller Syncrowave 180 SD and the Lincoln SW 175 have better control and features, but don't have the really fine control or optional features of either the inverter machines or the bigger transformer machines. I think you do need to go to an inverter machine or a larger 220v machine. Quite honestly I have welded just about everything with TIG and I have used over 2 dozen different machines. These are features that you should look at.

Foot control - Nothing beats this for precision work. A thumb wheel or thumb slider can be used, but a foot control allows more precise adjustment as you go.

Lift Arc start - If you are going for a DC only Inverter then lift-arc start is the way to go. It gives excellent control over arc starting especially in tight spaces. Lift-arc start actually makes a thumb wheel or thumb slider much more practical since you are less likely to zap yourself, as I have done with a thumb wheel and high frequency start.

Pulse Unit - this pulses the amperage of the arc and can be adjusted for: pulses per second, percentage of background amperage ( in other words: the low end of the pulse is set as a percentage of the max amperage), and the percentage of on-time ( these means how long the pulse says at the top of the pulse cycle). For thin metal a pulse unit is a godsend.

Example: I have been teaching my students how to weld bandsaw blades, and the Syncrowave 351 at school has a pulser and digital readout that make this very easy. Bandsaw blades range from 0.020" to 0.045" thick. For a 1" x 0.035" bandsaw blade for our cutoff bandsaw, I set the machine for 25 amps (digital readout), and the pulser for 2 pulses per sec., with 20% on time (20% of 1/2 sec. = 0.1 sec.) and background amperage at 50%(25 amps). Slowly walk the arc down the seam in a straight line while feeding in some 0.035" 316L filler rod. The pulser does most of the work, and the weld bead goes all the way through the blade. Smooth off the weld bead with a flapper disc, reclamp and anneal to blue either with the TIG or a propane torch. (I have the plans for the blade welder clamp jig if any are interested)

Digital Readout - I can't speak highly enough for this feature, especially when trying to set up a repeatable procedure for production work. You need to be able to set the machine exactly the same each time to gaurantee results.

High-Frequency Start - If you ever get interested in making aluminum bicycle frames you will need high frequency output for AC welding of aluminum. Yes you can weld aluminum with DCEN, but it is not for precision work, and burns very hot (it also requires a helium gas shield)

You have not stated whether or not there are elecrical power limitations to your shop. Also you have not set a maximum cost.

The best machine for what you are doing is the Syncrowave 350 (transformer - big) at about $3000 or the Dynasty DX (inverter - small) at about $4500. If this is high on $ then I recommend eiher one of the smaller Inverters, or my machine, the Sycrowave 250. The Syncrowave 250 ( or Thermal Arc Tigwave 250) is a great machine. It will weld anything, has excellent arc control, and while it doesn't have Lift-arc start , it does have an excellent high frequency unit, all for under $2000. You can add an inline pulser unit for $300. A water cooled torch will run about $100 and then you have to decide if you want to make a water cooler (under $100), run shop sink water( like I do for abou $30), or buy a water cooler ($300-$500). if you are never going to weld anything thicker than 3/16" you could stay with an air-cooled torch, but for small work, these can be a bit cumbersome. Water cooled torches are smaller and lighter. I do however have a tiny air-cooled 50 amp TIG torch by Weldcraft that is excellent for micro work. So if you want to do precision work with an air-cooled torch, I would recommend buying 2 torches. A 200 amp air-cooled torch for general and heavy work, and then a smaller 100 amp (or less) torch for precision work.

Thermal Dynamics makes probably the best inverter based TIG power sources on the market, but Miller also has some nice units.

Just my opinions.

-- STAGESMITH - Custom Metal Fabrication - Renton, WA, US

"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind." William Shakespear

From: Ted Edwards - view profile Date: Sat, Jan 29 2000 12:00 am Not yet rated

show > don't need a machine that does stick or aluminum but I do need the

Willing to bet you will before long. Welding is addictive. Besides, wait 'til you see what you can make out stuff ordinary mortals have to throw away.

Cost is a consideration but it is not the bottom line. I'm 59, so I > don't see as well as I used to and will need all the help I can get > from the machine.

Get yourself an auto-darkening helmet and a 2 diopter magnifying insert

lens for it. Trust me - I know. I'm 65 and have always been far sighted. Focusing close up does not get easier with age. I have a Selstrom helmet with adjustable shade and sensitivity. Beauty!

At this point the Miller Maxstar 91 is looking pretty good but I spoke > to a couple of local dealers, neither of whom carried this model and > one told me that what I really needed was the EconoTIG, the other said > the Syncrowave 180. (I don't believe either of them)

I've had my Thermal Dynamics since '93 or '94 and it's great. I gather

this is a hobby thing for you so don't restrict yourself. Versatility is all. Ted

From: Ted Edwards - view profile Date: Sat, Jan 29 2000 12:00 am Not yet rated

show > Foot control - Nothing beats this for precision work.

A thumb wheel or thumb slider can be used, but a foot control allows more

precise adjustment as you

go.

This is one of the few things I disagree with Ernie on. I have a torch

mounted slider and find it much handier than a foot pedal.

A water cooled torch will run about $100 and then you have to decide if you

want to make a water

This is the other. I have a C-K air cooled torch and don't miss the hassle of a water cooler. I've welded a fair bit of 1/2" plate and it hasn't been a problem. I need a break before my torch does. :-)

Thermal Dynamics makes probably the best inverter based TIG power sources on the market,

I'm in violent agreement!! :-) Ted

From: Ernie Leimkuhler - view profile Date: Sun, Jan 30 2000 12:00 am Not yet rated

show > Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

> Foot control - Nothing beats this for precision work. > > A thumb wheel or thumb slider can be used, but a foot control allows more > > precise adjustment as you > > go. > This is one of the few things I disagree with Ernie on. I have a torch > mounted slider and find it much handier than a foot pedal.

Well I would feel better about it if I had a slider, but mine is a thumbwheel and is less useful. I use it about 2 times a year, so it is unlikely I am going to shell out another $110 for a slider.

> A water cooled torch will run about $100 and then you have to decide if > > you want to make a water > This is the other. I have a C-K air cooled torch and don't miss the > hassle of a water cooler. I've welded a fair bit of 1/2" plate and it > hasn't been a problem. I need a break before my torch does. :-)

Well Ted I do have a tiny air-cooled 50 amp TIG torch that works great, but I do too much heavy aluminum to deal with an air cooled torch for most work. Aluminum really sucks the life out of a TIG and the AC arc puts half the heat back into the torch. That can make a torch get damn warm after a short while. My econotig came with an air-cooled 150 amp torch and I stuck with it for 2 years before figuring out how to hook up a water cooled torch. Air-cooled torches are better for low amperage and DC welding. I also occasionally hook up my 350 amp water-cooled torch and weld 1/2" aluminum plate, and I can't imagine doing that with an air-cooled torch.

> Thermal Dynamics makes probably the best inverter based TIG power sources > > on the market, > I'm in violent agreement!! :-) > Ted

Now if only they would jump into this small transformer TIG market. It's always nice to have options.

-- STAGESMITH - Custom Metal Fabrication - Renton, WA, US

"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind." William Shakespear

Reply to
smyths

I have used ALL of the machines you are looking at. You don't state that you NEED AC for aluminum

If you only need DC then a a Maxstar 200DX would be an excellent choice. I have had mine for 6 years now and still love it.

A Maxstar 300DX would get you more amps, but eliminates the 110v option.

The Dynasties are sweet machines, but have lower duty cycles than the Maxstars. If you want to do aluminum, then go for a Dynasty.

Syncrowave 351s are nice, but REALLY BIG, and they only have a rudimentary sequencer. We have one at South Seattle with that package, and it is kind of clunky as a sequencer.

For inverters stick with Miller. Better units, more features, made in the US.

The Thermal Arc I keep[ recommending is their low end 185TSW because of the low price for the features. Miller inverters are better but more money.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

--Does the Maxstar come with a pulser, or is that only on the Dynasty?

Reply to
steamer

The Maxstar 200DX has the same pulser/sequencer as the Dynasty 200DX.

To add AC to the Dynasty they had to reduce the overall duty cycle.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks for the info, Ernie.

Well, the 351 never came through, so I think I'll roll with my original plan to pick up a Dynasty or Maxstar 200DX- whichever shows up first in used condition at the right price. I'm tempted to hold out for the

300 series, but I think I'll jump on a 200 series and see how far that takes me. You had me tempted with the TA185, but I figure my original intent was to have the 110V option for field work, so I'd rather spend the extra cash and pick up this option and have a few more amps to boot. Besides, I already have accessories (remotes) that are for the Miller, and I don't know if they fit the TA.

Thanks again.

Smyths

Reply to
smyths