TIG welding in argon atmosphere

If I am TIG welding in an argon (or Ar/He) atmosphere, do I need any gas flowing through the torch?

Can I recycle gas from the atmosphere eg using a fishtank air pump?

Thanks

- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Are you using a water cooled torch? I think the torches that do not use water cooling depend on the gas to help cool the torch.

I do not understand your second question about using a fishtank air pump. Are you using a glove box? Where would the input to the air pump be ? Where would the output be going?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

No, though I could if necessary.

What I was really wondering was whether the flow of gas is important to arc stability etc.

Yes to glovebox.

The input would be in the glovebox, the output would be to the torch.

Could put some sort of cooling/purification inline if needed.

Thanks,

- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Measure the pressure drop through the torch at the specified flow rate, then choose a pump that can equal or exceed it.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

My understanding is that the flow of gas does not help arc stability. In fact I think the flow of gas hurts arc stability. I think if you have a water cooled torch and are using a glove box , you do not need to use any gas flow thru the torch.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster