TIG without a cup?

Hi All,

I need to TIG weld inside a recess in an aluminum casting. The recess formerly held a plain bearing. The recess is approx 1" diameter and 1.200" deep. A crack formed in the wall of the recess, then the bearing fragged, and that created a gouge. This looks to be the result of abuse, rather than a flaw in the casting. It wouldn't be a difficult job to repair if not for the difficulty in getting to the lower part of the crack. Unfortunately I can't get at the backside of the recess, or I'd gouge the crack out and weld it that way. I do have enough room to get in there with a carbide burr to gouge the crack on the inside, using a burr with an extended shank.

It looks like the only way I can get in there is to use a torch without the cup, and extend the tungsten roughly 3/4" or so. Due to the thickness of the aluminum, I'll have to use ~140A or so, even after preheating the part. My idea is to create a dam around the recess using a short length of some 2.5" steel tube I have handy, then flood the area inside the dam with argon. I have a dial-indicator stand with a gas lens & large cup, I will use that to apply the gas. After a moment or to for the argon to displace the air, I'd insert the torch to do the weld. Naturally I'll do this in the most draft-free spot I can find. When I'm done with the weld I will bore the recess to the correct size using the mill.

This seems like it will work, but the piece I'll be welding is not one that I'd want to screw up. (At this point, it's scrap anyway, but still...) A new casting is > $600, so it's worth taking the time to do this right. Too bad I don't have access to a proper purge chamber - but, I'd consider making something temporary, if that's the best way to go at this. I thought I'd float this idea to the group, to see if it seems plausible, or if there is another way to approach this kind of problem. Thanks for any info or suggestions.

G.

Reply to
FakeName

It might just work, but use a gas lens collet body instead of a standard collet body, in your torch. Even without the gas cup the gas lens will keep a fairly coherent stream of gas.

You should get some short lengths of 1" diameter aluminum tube to practice with.

The best aluminum rod I have found for castings is 4047.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have welded stainless steel using this "flooding" technique very successfully. Never tried it on Al, but it should work. Remember to be aware that there is potetential danger of inhaling the argon if you have to get very close to weld in order to see. Good luck

Tom

Reply to
Thomas A.Dixon

Other than asphyxiating yourself from inhaling only Ar and no oxygen (like some less bright people have done with nitrous oxide) why would there be any danger inhaling a little Ar?

When I haven't used my MIG for a while I'll turn the wire speed all the way down (cause I can't turn it off), pull the trigger, and sniff the nozzle until I can smell the CO2 in the Ar75/C25 mix. I've had no ill effects. Argon is inert.

Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

If CO² is odorless and tasteless how does this work Jeff?

Reply to
Eric D

I can attest that it is possible. we do it all the time at the brewery I work at. you don't actually taste or smell the CO2, it tingles your nose when inhaled. you'd probably get the same sensation with other gasses that aren't oxygen.

dave

Reply to
dave

Ok Dave, you have sparked my interest. Why do you inhale CO² and what does it have to do with brewing or are you just attaching lines and stuff to carbonate beer and inhaling is just a side affect?

I know this is getting off subject, but on my too-do-list is a 10 to

12 gallon conical stainless fermenter for making beer. You can see the type I would like at this web site:

I use to make a lot of beer years back but stopped once I moved. I hope someday to get back into it as I really enjoy it and so do my family and friends.

Eric D

Reply to
Eric D

CO2 + water = carbonic acid

One can sense that.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

We move our beer from a fermentation tank to a bright (so-called because most of the time it contains filtered beer) tank before we bottle or keg it. We purge the bright tank with CO2 before we move the beer into it. We inhale the gas being pushed out of the bright tank every so often to see when it's filled with CO2. mmm, beer.

Reply to
dave