Using 3ph. welder on phase convertor..

OK, I finally got around to hooking up a big ol' 3ph. welder to my phase convertor to see how it works.. It works pretty good. The welder is an Idealarc DC-600, it's a CV/VV DC only machine rated to be good for 600 amps at 100% duty cycle ('tis a manly welder, me buckos..) and the phase convertor is a 3hp, balanced and pf corrected. I'm using it as a stick welder to start out, it already had the cables hooked up when it came to me so that seemed the process to try (I'll probably try it with the wire feeder someday, I'll post the results if I do). I burned 1/8" 7018 for about a half hour and checked the phase convertor, it was hot but not excessively so- I could touch it, but not leave my fingers on it for long, this with an ambient temp. at the convertor of about 90F. Another point I learned is that you want the leads for the control transformer to go to the line connections that come from your single phase- if you put the transformer on the generated phase the voltage will drop enough when you strike an arc to turn the machine off. Also, if anyone's curious, this is a transformer machine with SCRs in the rectifier, I'd figure that a machine with ordinary diodes in the rectifier would work at least as well as this.

To sum it up- it works:-)

John

Reply to
JohnM

Well, but mostly single phase. That rig needs about 12 kW full bore, but a 3 hp converter can only provide about 2.2 kW. That's why the generated leg is sagging so much.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Shiver me timbers, Thats an impressive welder you have there. Frankly I am more impressed by the phase converter you must be using with it. Wouldnt it be cheaper just to have a 3 phase service installed. Jeez I missed something.!!! Your phase converter is only 3hp!!!. You are going to fry it. Welder is probably just working off of 2 phases which may be OK if you limit the current to 200 A or less.

Reply to
Jimmy

I used to work in a sewing factory that used one of these welders(3 Phase

600 amp) in it maint shop. One of the 150 Amp input fuses blew and no one noticed. I bet it would run as well on 240 single phase as it does on 208 3 phase. We probably never used it at more than 150 amps.

Reply to
Jimmy

Not trying to bust your chops at all, just noting why you're seeing the generated leg sag so much.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

OK, in that case I'll say Thank You for the input.

Geez I love this machine, it's something else. I really don't *need* another welder in the shop but..

Jimmy's suggestion that I single-phase it is also interesting, I think I might try that too.

John

Reply to
JohnM