Victor tip size?

I bought an old Victor portable welding kit with a J28 torch, 2-W-J welding tip and Uniweld 17-15 rosebud, which apparently consume acetylene much too fast for the MC tank in the carrier. According to Victor only a size 000 tip is within spec, but which size tip do people really use for light welding like thermocouples and auto body rust repair?

TIA jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The Victor chart is suspect. Note the thickness of the metal being welded generally goes from thinner to thicker except for the 00 tip size. I suspect the thickness range for 00 ought to read 1/32 to 3/64 instead of 1/16 to 3/64.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Looks like a typo. So which size tip would you buy to weld car sheet metal, or clean up amateur MIG welds? jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I would probably buy the 0 size. But I do not do much oxy-acet welding.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

more probably 1/64 to 3/64. In 1/64ths:

0 to 2 #000 1 to 3 #00 2 to 5 #0 3 to 6 #1 ...

So which size tip would you buy to weld car sheet

0 or 1. Or both, plain nozzles are cheap.

You might want to investigate the use of propane for the rosebud.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I can buy CGA adapters and temporarily shuffle equipment around at home, but I'd like to complete this Victor kit properly, if I need to take it somewhere or want to sell it. I bought it cheap because it needed attention, and now I'm trying to restore it at least functionally if not cosmetically. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I think the acet regulator will connect to a propane bottle without an adapter. The hose should be rated for propane, Some are some aren't.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster