Welder repair (Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D)

I recently bought a Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D with a Kubota diesel and 714 hours, along with other items that I bought together as a lot.

After I brought it home, I noticed a tag on the welder saying "BROKE".

While a disappointment, I reasoned that

1) the seller, a demolition man, was not aware of this tag, as he would either remove it if he was dishonest, or tell me about it if he was honest. 2) The welder likely was not worked on, as the tag would have been more specific if someone looked at it more closely.

What was going on with it is that it would start and run great, but would produce no output, AC or welding current.

A bit of diagnostics with a multimeter, and staying on the miller forum and calling Miller, all pointed to a bad circuit board. I took a bit of risk and bought a replacement from Miller for $500 plus tax.

The result is great, the welder, now, runs great and welds pretty good.

Apparently, that board was poorly designed, and dies for spurious reasons, like when someone tries to jump start a dead battery.

Ignoramus18788

thats one expensive board!

Reply to
erik

Many are much more expensive than that...

Ignoramus18788

Just out of interest can you put up a photo of the faulty board. I'm interested in what's on the board and how repairable they might be.

Reply to
Dennis

Sure. I am going to sell the defective board, actually, with proper disclosures, of course.

Ignoramus18788

Wow, I'd be looking for a way to isolate that board.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Yes, the right way is to disconnect the positive cable before trying to charge the battery.

Ignoramus11847

Put a switch on it, or somebody will get lazy...

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Tell me where gunner.

The one source I found for an SP150, not mine, a buddy's; the sobs never returned my calls. BUT the board appears to have been tested out and the "usual screw-up" components were stripped of whatever coating Lincoln uses. (by a Linclon dealer) (yeah) The actual complete board "isn't available any more" /end quote.

An IC and one or two others (items) where cleaned and probably just need the parts sussed out on the interwebs. I, me, sort of offered to find someone to fix it. I can solder it's just I prefer plumbing. ;)

But now that I think of it, he said he wanted it FIXED, two years ago, so I could charge him what I want. -shrug-

Reply to
Sano

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks Gunner. I'll have a 'nother look. The first outfit I had tried was wiped out in the storms through the Carolina's last year.

(evidently had no offsite mechanism for backing up their server or anything.)

Reply to
Sano

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

THose all look more better than what I found last year. tanks

Reply to
Sano