welding

HELLO EVERYONE,

I HAVE A CONTACT WORKING IN THE DOCKS OF LONG BEACH THAT CAN GET ME WORK. GREAT PAY, GREAT BENEFITS, GREAT EVERYTHING! I JUST NEED TO BE G2 CERTIFIED AND I NEED TO DO IT NOW! I KNOW MY FIRST STEP IS TO LERN TO WELD, G2 WILL COME LATER. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY SCHOOLS THAT SPECIALIZES IN WELDING THAT WILL HELP ME GET IT DONE QUICKLY? I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONES FEEDBACK.

Reply to
rteran82

First turn off the Caps Lock button.

Second, I believe you are referring to a 2G weld. The "2" means Horizontal, or welding across a wall. The "G" means a groove weld, I would assume with a backer. You will need to find out what thickness they require. Most docks, and rail yards require a 3/8" test plate since most of the welding is repairs to shipping containers. We refer to this a "limited" test, since a 3/8" test plate qualifies you for 1/8" to 3/4" thick steel. A 1" test plate qualifies you for 1/8" and above, so it is referred to a an "unlimited" test. You have not specified the process. It will be either SMAW, know as "Stick" welding, or FCAW known as Flux core wire feed, or self-shielded Flux-core.

Pretty much any community college with a welding program can run that test, and train you to pass it.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

You may be able to fast track a little by advertising for someone to personally teach you. This can shorten the learning curve, and the cost may be the same or even less.

On the downside, being able to pass s 2G test will be no indication of your worth in the real world. So much of welding is figuring out solutions, being able to work with what you have, and just fix what is there. It's not usually a job where they sit you down, and bring you the same things to weld over and over, although if you are in a fab environment, that may exactly describe your job.

Do you have any idea just exactly what it is you will be welding? Good luck and keep us posted.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to