Welding after cataract surgery?

Threaded View
 I've started a job where I am being trained as a welder. In the past I
have done some welding and didn't have any trouble seeing while I
welded with the correct lens. Now I'm having trouble with a #10 lens
and they told me at work this was the lightest available. The only
thing I can figure is the cataract operation. I can't see very well at
night anymore and I know this is common for people after their cataract
operations. Any thoughts?
Rosco

Re: Welding after cataract surgery?
spend $50 of your own money and get an auto-darkening hood from Harbor
Freight (sale price, regular is $99).  Not the best but it is OK.
Adjustable lens from #9 to #13.  Be sure that is not a matter of poor
near vision that can be corrected with cheater lens, or reading glasses
under the hood.

Re: Welding after cataract surgery?

I believe I would be talking to my eye doctor about the possible
consequences of welding and why you are having a problem. No job is worth
going blind....

--

Clif

Re: Welding after cataract surgery?

A simple solution is to place a 300 watt quartz flood light so it points
at your work.

They cost about $10 at any hardware store.

Re: Welding after cataract surgery?

Speak to your eye doctor to see if there are any issues with your eyes.
My mother recently had laser surgery to clear clouding of the fluid
around the cornea which is apparently common after cataract surgery
which she had a couple of years ago.

Re: Welding after cataract surgery?

 I'll talk with the doctor but having less vision at night is common
after surgery. I talked with another guy (a real welder) who also had
cataract surgery and he said it didn't affect anything. He gave me
another lens to try. I'm going to try all the suggestions here.
Thanks everybody
Rosco

Re: Welding after cataract surgery?

Either you or your mother are slightly confused.

The common (about 35% of cases) clouding of acuity following cataract
surgery does not involve the cornea, which in any case doesn't have any
fluid around it except for the tear layer in front and the aqueous humor
behind.  Rather, it's a regrowth of cells on the inside surface of the
membrane surrounding the original lens of the eye.  The membrane is left
there to support the implanted plastic lens so that it stays in place.

The clouding is a common sequel to cataract extraction, but is accepted
because it's a simple matter to blast away the offending material with a
series of pulses from a YAG laser.  Takes mere moments and is painless.

Your advice to consult the surgeon is correct.  The OP should be aware
that there are several causes of decreased visual acuity following
cataract surgery, such as the appearance of macular degeneration or
macular edema, but the clouding of the lens capsule would be more common
and preferable, because it's easier to fix.

Ted

--
Ted Bennett

Site Timeline