Welding after cataract surgery?

I've started a job where I am being trained as a welder. In the past I have done some welding and didn't have any trouble seeing while I welded with the correct lens. Now I'm having trouble with a #10 lens and they told me at work this was the lightest available. The only thing I can figure is the cataract operation. I can't see very well at night anymore and I know this is common for people after their cataract operations. Any thoughts? Rosco

Reply to
Dr Butter

Robert Ball

I believe I would be talking to my eye doctor about the possible consequences of welding and why you are having a problem. No job is worth going blind....

Reply to
Clif Holland

A simple solution is to place a 300 watt quartz flood light so it points at your work.

They cost about $10 at any hardware store.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Speak to your eye doctor to see if there are any issues with your eyes. My mother recently had laser surgery to clear clouding of the fluid around the cornea which is apparently common after cataract surgery which she had a couple of years ago.

Reply to
David Billington

I'll talk with the doctor but having less vision at night is common after surgery. I talked with another guy (a real welder) who also had cataract surgery and he said it didn't affect anything. He gave me another lens to try. I'm going to try all the suggestions here. Thanks everybody Rosco

Reply to
Dr Butter

Either you or your mother are slightly confused.

The common (about 35% of cases) clouding of acuity following cataract surgery does not involve the cornea, which in any case doesn't have any fluid around it except for the tear layer in front and the aqueous humor behind. Rather, it's a regrowth of cells on the inside surface of the membrane surrounding the original lens of the eye. The membrane is left there to support the implanted plastic lens so that it stays in place.

The clouding is a common sequel to cataract extraction, but is accepted because it's a simple matter to blast away the offending material with a series of pulses from a YAG laser. Takes mere moments and is painless.

Your advice to consult the surgeon is correct. The OP should be aware that there are several causes of decreased visual acuity following cataract surgery, such as the appearance of macular degeneration or macular edema, but the clouding of the lens capsule would be more common and preferable, because it's easier to fix.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Bennett