Welding gas tank sizes

Anyone got a visual or cite on the various sizes of welding/gas bottles and their designations?

I get confused as hell over this.

Shrug

What size is 135cf bottle of argon for example? Its not a B..which is about 5' tall..right?

Sigh...snivel...help!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

135 cu ft?

bottom of bottle is about 18" diameter = 2.25sqft so 135 cu ft = 60ft tall???????!!!!!!!

if it was 2ft across, then it's be 33 ft high

I gather that 135cf means at STP, not compressed?

Reply to
bigegg

I thought acetylene tanks had lettered sizes, but I'm not sure. Here is a chart of sizes (cu-ft & dimensions):

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Happy to help. The following table cites tank designators which are in use by one of the majors, don't remember which one. A slightly more reliable indicator is the cubic foot capacity, also cited. But these numbers vary somewhat. For example, the largest high pressure cylinder in my table I've seen described as containing anywhere from 240 to 264 cubic feet. Go figger. - GWE

Welding Cylinder Data

Oxygen / Argon / Helium / Other High Pressure Tank Designator Capacity Height Dia. K 251 51" 9" S 156 46" 7 3/8" M 125 47" 7" Q 92 30" 7 1/8"

Acetylene Tank Designator Capacity Height Dia. #5 350 45" 12" #4 150 38" 8" #3 75 29" 7"

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You may have noticed, egg, that when you open the valve on a gas cylinder, gas actually flows OUT. This means, egg, that it's at a higher PRESSURE. It follows, egg, that it can actually occupy a smaller VOLUME.

Thank you for your worthwhile contribution.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

The last time I looked, the Airgas catalog had a page or two showing gas cylinder spces, sizes and the names used for each by different suppliers. It's probably available on their web site as well.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yea, but we all talk about you behind you back...but that gets boring quickly.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I order tanks from my supplier by: "Little", "Small", "Medium", "Big" and "Really Big" I hope that clears it all up for you!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

No, atmospheric pressure. The tank contains 135 cu ft of free gas, in compressed form.

Shades of the air compressor war-thread. Remember? Air compressors are rated in cubic ft/minute of free air, not compressed air. Some esteemed r.c.m colleagues could never grasp that.

An 80 cubic foot scuba tank has a volume of 0.4 cu ft, containing air compressed to about 200 bar.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

IO was refering to that volume stuffed into the tank.

But you are indeed correct.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Indeed! Bookmarked!

Thanks Egg

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Unlucky, Grant. It looks like you bumped into one of the few guys who has a pretty good explanation behind his moniker :-).

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy