Welding helmet light attenuation characteristics

Hi all:

For years I have been welding with a Jackson ECQ 3N1 Executive welding helmet. And for years I have had problems, once I establish the initial arc, guiding the torch in the right direction. The arc light is strong enough that the lens attenuates the arc but it also attenuates the light in the surrounding area, making it so dark that it is impossible for me to see where I am welding. I have talked with several weldors and they do not seem to have this problem. So I would like to know if my eyes are getting old, with the rest of me, (I am 78), and they do not adjust to the light conditions or is the welding helmet deficient. I would assume that the helmet is designed so the light attenuation for intense light is much greater than the attenuation for lesser intensities. I did send Jackson an e-mail but they have not responded. Maybe some of the learned members of this group would like to enlighten me regarding this problem. I have not found very much information on the subject in the welding literature, except for the usual safety concerns.

Best Regards,

Ray Ramos

Reply to
Rafael Ramos

The attenuation is the same for all light, so the surrounding area is hard to see. Your eyes do not react as quickly to major changes in light level as you age, in some ways the 25 year olds have an advantage over senior citizens.

Two options are common:

  1. use a lower number lens, even changing from a 10 to a 9 makes a difference. You are limited by the process and current you are using as you can't go to a low number if you have a bright arc, you need the higher shade number to protect your eyes but you can frequently drop a shade or two.

  1. other posters have suggested us>Hi all:

Reply to
Robert Ball

Reply to
RoyJ

Many of my older students had this problem. The simplest solution is a $15 300 watt quartz work light sitting on the table next to you or on a stand. This will usually add enough light that you can see with the hood activated.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I keep my helmet inside a pillow case when not in use. Amazing how much cleaner the lens stays, and how much better you see with a clean lens.

Steve

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Ray, you and I are the same age, and I can say, I had to overcome the same problem when I started doing flux-core "MIG". First off, clean every air/glass or air/plastic surface carefully. Stop wearing your bifocals or trifocals while welding. I use a cheap pair of reading glasses, and have eliminated the diopter correction lens from my helmet. Using multi-focal spectacles forces you to hold your head in just the right way for good focus. This may not always be achieved, and you may not even be aware that your image is not sharp sometimes.

As others have pointed out, it is critical for the light path to your eyes to be CLEAN. When light scatters going through several dusty surfaces, your ability to resolve detail is badly compromised.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I have a similar problem but the light trips my helmet so it is hard to set up. Is this a helmet problem or is this to be expected. I could dig into my welder and make it drive a switched outlet. but perhaps there is a better solution.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

As you up in quality and price of helmets you find more features like adjustable threshold, adjustable shade, hold time, and they generally let more light through in the light state.

Even the inexpensive electronic helmets of today are much brighter than my old Jackson.

I still often use the 300 watt work light to make things easier. It seems that most of the welding I do these days is out of position, under a dump truck, in the driveway with shafts of sunlight to keep me jumping.

I have to make things as easy for me as I can or the quality of my work suffers.

michael

Reply to
pipedope

Thanks to all, I did get good advice that I will follow from now on. It is a shame we have to get old, but it is better than the alternative. We have to keep adjusting to the changes and enjoying life. Thanks again

Best Regards,

Reply to
Rafael Ramos

Thanks to all, I did get good advice that I will follow from now on. It is a shame we have to get old, but it is better than the alternative. We have to keep adjusting to the changes and enjoying life. Thanks again

Best Regards,

Reply to
Rafael Ramos

I think the idea is to trip the helmet but it is then still visible to see and then start to weld. If it just blacks it out - no joy. I have a set of 500W lamps - I'll see what they do when I get a shot at it. Right now it is flood city if the water rises - long last rain...

Lost power several times today already and a train of red/purple is on the way.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Boris Mohar wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn