Welding regulator question

I connected an oxygen regulator (Victor SR 450) to a cylinder. No hose is attached to the regulator. The high pressure gauge reads fine. I turned in the adjust screw. The regulator "flutters" or "chatters" at high flow. Is there a problem?

Is there a better way to test a regulator for proper function without completely connecting a welding torch?

Thanks

Reply to
Dev Null

Sounds like a broken regulator. It should be fixable.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

The low pressure side is trying desperatly to bring the entire room up to the output pressure you set. You need a smaller space the pressurize, like the hoses with a torch on the end. This way you can test the regulator in a static (no-flow) and a dynamic (controlled-flow) condition. Someone may come up with make shift ways, but this is the most straight forward.

Reply to
Ken Moffett

Bad or perhaps the Oxygen regulator isn't intended for high flow and so it isn't damped from vibrations in the line.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn