Welding truck exhaust pipe

I know up front that what I want to do isn't smart or efficient, but it's a pride thing.

I have a Lincoln 110 volt, flux core, wirefeed welder. My skill level is probably on the low side of average for the folks that read this newsgroup. How difficult am I going to find it to make leak-free joints on angled cuts and butt joints on common exhaust tubing? Any advice on doing this, other than admitting defeat and paying someone to do it? I'll work 8 hours to save $10.

Thanks in advance. Mark

Reply to
Mark and Ellen Smith

On the butt joints properly fitted, not so difficult. On the angled joints, why make a joint at all, get it bent on a hydraulic tubing bender.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Depends entirely on what and where you're welding.

Is this new tube or old ? On a bench, or in situ ?

Either way, you should go for it. For making up a new system it's not too hard, although you should practice on some flat steel first until your technique is good. (any number of resources are out there to help). With moderate practice, you can do this and make workable exhaust systems. Trucks are much easier than cars, as they have more space and less critical shaping.

If it's repair work in situ, then do it anyway. But be aware that this sort of weld on rotted-out pipework is a PITA to do, and it never lasts long afterwards (no matter who does it), because you're welding rubbish to rubbish.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Mark and Ellen Smith" wrote: (clip) I'll work 8 hours to save $10. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I like your attitude. Matter of fact I'll work 8 hours and spend some money just to save something I don't even need.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

DO IT RIGHT, DAMMIT ! ! ! Go to the exhaust aisle at Pep Boys, and get a bunch of them tees, elbows, and such. Then make you one of those pipe mazes like you see on a screen saver. You might even be able to use it for a truck rack if you build it right.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

It's the principle, dadgummit!

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

It might be easier for you if you had an OA torch (I'm not a MIG guy, so I can't offer advice ther0

I had a 71 Cougar with dual exhaust. The aftermarket pipe for one side never fit so it was always a mater of cutting, repositioning, then welding. I'm sure you'll do fine!

When I was younger, I always installed my own tires on tubeless rims to save a buck or two. Of course, they were used tires...

Reply to
Rick