Welding two Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds Together

I have a 1950 Ford Truck and want to cut an exhaust manifold in half and weld it to a different half. I am guess it is cast iron. I am looking to do this in Minnesota what should I look for in getting someone who is going to be able to do a good job? Any specific questions I should ask?

Reply to
Mickey

"Mickey" (clip) to do a good job? Any specific questions I should ask? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A good shop should be able to do it. They weld it with nickel rod, and do a lot of peening as the weld progresses. The biggest challenge will be holding all the gasket faces straight and parallel. I believe they will do that by clamping everything up at the start.

I suggest you take both manifolds in before cutting, so the weldor can choose a place for the joint that suits him best.

Out of curiosity, why are you doing this?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I have a 1950 Ford Pickup with a 226 Straight six. There are not any companies that make an aftermarket exhaust for this motor that I can find. I would like to put a header on but can not find one. I have a Speed Manual from 1952 that says to cut a car and truck exhaust and combine them. The reason is the car and truck exit in different places. This is supposed to be good for 10 hp with no other modifications. I am adding a dual intake also which is supposed to add 10-14 HP with no other modifications. So I figure I should have a period correct hotrod with an additional 20-30 HP with the combined modifications. That should put me up to a whopping 130 hp. My other option would be to draw a exhaust flange and get it cut. Then have a set of shorty headers made. I think the dual manifolds and welding may be less expensive. Anybody have an idea on the cost on making a set of one off headers. Heck I wouldn't mind making 5 sets at once so I could sell the others just not sure where to start or of the cost to make them.

Reply to
Mickey

The alternative is do a decent set of headers. Since you are in Minnesota, give a call to Ed Henneman at Headers by Ed in Minneapolis.

He has the flanges for your engine

He also has the necessary bends needed to make the whole rig as well as contacts for getting them made up.

If you insist on doing the cast iron manifold trick, another way to do it is using the stock manifold, cut a slot between cylinders 3 &4 with an abrasive saw, stick in a plate and weld it up. Cut a hole in the manifold for the front 3 cylinders and weld in a flange.

I sorta remember do> I have a 1950 Ford Truck and want to cut an exhaust manifold in half and

Reply to
RoyJ

I seem to remember contacting him and he did not have the parts for a 1950 Ford 226 Flat six. The newer parts 1952 or 1953 are not the same. I also seem to remember a quote of $750.00 to make one. I will try just to make sure. I think putting the two manifold together was supposed to be the same idea as cutting and putting in the plate and flange. Where are you located at Roy ?

Reply to
Mickey
**Flathead*** 6?? Hmmm....... I was thinking the 1950 was OHV, my '55 was. Do you have a spare engine block (flathead) or head (OHV) to do the headers off of?

Western suburbs of M> I seem to remember contacting him and he did not have the parts for a 1950

Reply to
RoyJ

Yes, I have a spare truck I bought for parts, are you volunteering? The motor is a 226 Flathead Cylinder. Around 1952 Ford changed to the OHV motor. My head is a flat cast piece of steel that holds the spark plugs and that is it.

Reply to
Mickey

Heh, heh! Oh I suppose I could take a crack at it. I'll probably regret it, welding old exhaust manifolds are tough, building new headers is a lot of work.

You'll need to unmung your e-mail address.

Mickey wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ