What Can I Do With 4 Lincoln Hobby-Welders?

Threaded View
Buddy of mine works at a surplus store that purchased a bunch of Lincoln
Hobby-Weld fixed 50 amp welders from an auction.  Everyone they sold the
units to has returned them as defective so he told me I could have them for
free.   My son is a welding shop foreman and he checked them out and they
all work, but not well.  Running the 1/16" recommended Lincoln rod a very
short bead causes all the units to stop arcing and the bead has to be
restarted.

We really don't need these things so my question is can the problem be
solved so I can sell them or are there any other uses these toy weldering
machine could be converted to?

Thanks in advance

Jimbo

Re: What Can I Do With 4 Lincoln Hobby-Welders?
Put them on Ebay!!

Re: What Can I Do With 4 Lincoln Hobby-Welders?
I may be wrong and I have never sold anything on Ebay but don't you think I
would get a lot of negative feed back?  I'd be worried that my first sale on
Ebay might be my last.

Jimbo

Re: What Can I Do With 4 Lincoln Hobby-Welders?

What is the output voltage?  Might make a really great power supply.
Regulate the input with feedback from the output.  Add a diode and use it
for plating or rust removal?
Glenn

Re: What Can I Do With 4 Lincoln Hobby-Welders?
Then email ME, and I'll take one off your hands for just the postage ;-)

That way you will not have sold it but Donated it to a better cause ;-))

Seriously THINK about it PLEASE, I could do with one of them.

What ever all the best

Vaughn

on

Re: What Can I Do With 4 Lincoln Hobby-Welders?

Not necessarily.  The way to get negative feedback is to deceive your buyer.
If you explain the situation up front just as you have explained it here I
see no reason why anyone should complain.  Start them at $1 each and include
a reasonable shipping cost so the buyer knows what it will cost them up
front and you may be surprised at how well they sell.

I've bought things on eBay that I knew were bad because I felt I had a
reasonably good chance of either fixing it or using parts from it.  In every
case I got exactly what was describes so I was happy and left positive
feedback.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall
snipped-for-privacy@progressivelogic.com

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Re: What Can I Do With 4 Lincoln Hobby-Welders?

Since you ARE in Canada as well, and depending where you are in Canada, I
would definitely be willing to check one out and see what it can do.  After
all, you did get four (4) of them for free, so maybe we can work something
out.

Re: What Can I Do With 4 Lincoln Hobby-Welders?
My son says the machine are not really defective in the true sense of the
word, just extremely limited in what they can do.  A 50 amp fixed setting
really makes them all but useless if you work with different thicknesses of
metal.   It's obvious to me that  these things get returned because even a
skilled professional welder has to play around a lot to get the arc to
started and keep it running.  Trying  to get the machine to duplicate  the
type of welding the manual tells you the machine is capable of doing, would
be a total waste of time, it's just not  practical to expect such a small
machine to do that type of work.   Great for tacking etc. but that's about
it.

2 of the 4 machines machines have burned and cracked electrode holders and a
missing carring handle covers but if anyone wants to make me an offer the
machines are located in South Western Ontario

Jimbo

Re: What Can I Do With 4 Lincoln Hobby-Welders?

I am also in Southwestern Ontario.  Just outside of Windsor, actually.  I
was considering buying one of those things back in the day before I got my
current welder.  I just got sick of Canadian Tire never having anything in
stock, so I went elsewhere to get a different welder altogether.  E-Mail me
with what you are looking to get for one and where you are located and I am
sure we can figure something out.

Re: What Can I Do With 4 Lincoln Hobby-Welders?

"Jimbo" wrote:  (clip) are there any other uses these toy weldering  machine
could be converted to.
Put them in a row, and arrange the connections so you can run them in
parallel.  This will give you four ranges, from 0 to 200 amps. (Semi-TIC)

Site Timeline