what does a company need to do to get qualified or certified to have welders qualified

This is something new to me and I need advice, I am in a new company that wants to expand and hold qualifications for our welders, and as we grow to qualify new employees and further test others as well. I have searched all over the net looking for answers on where to get the company qualified and even called AWS on this matter to no avail. Can someone please give me a direction on which way to go. Who to contact for company qualifications? It is an Ohio based company and we are looking at D1.1 and ASME 9 as possibly API 1104. Thanks for any help

Reply to
Tony D.

You can't really certify a company.

If you set up an internal Quality Control Program you can become an AISC approved fabricator for structural steel. This means you can fab most structural steel without periodic special inspections. You need to get your QC program accepted in whatever city or county the buildings are going into.

Your internal QC program would manage the certs each weldor holds for the work you do. You send the weldors out to testing agencies to get their paperwork. I do a lot of special inspections in fab shops for structural and pipe. Structural will be covered by AISC, AWS and ICC. Pipe is usually under ASME, but can also be AWS and API.

I am not sure how Ohio handles "approved fabricators". Questions on structural can be answered by a local "Special Inspection" company like the one I work for in Seattle, or your local city or county planning office. ASME covers pipe for "Mechanical" applications such as process water, compressed air or steam.

You will have to hire some qualified people to oversee your QC program. Usually you will hire on an AWS Certified Weld Inspector to run it, or you can have an outside agency manage it for you. You will have to deal with a non-destructive testing program as well if you do it in-house.

Most shops in Seattle outsource the inspections.

Check in your area for an inspection company. They should be able to set you up with a QC program.

Feel free to email me if you have more questions. snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler