What frequency range for square wave AC TIG

As part of my DC to AC tig conversion...

I would like to know what is a sensible frequency range. Would, say, the range of 30 Hz to 400 Hz be sufficient? Did anyone ever weld at, say, higher frequency?

thanks

Ignoramus14838

my esab-161 has auto variable hf when in AC mode. i believe its related to the current being drawn, lower current has higher hf then it drops down to about 60hz at the max current, auto done using the pedal. this is a feature i really dont like, i wish i could control the hf.

30hz is almost DC, i suspect you dont need to go any lower than 60hz.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

That's interesting. So, your suggested range is from 60 Hz to what?

Ignoramus14838

i know my esab is well under 1khz, 400-600hz is probably more like it on the high side... i cant find my 161 specs.... not even on the esab website :(

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Thank you. I was kind of wondering about high frequency welding, but, I guess, no one does it for a good reason. FCC might have something to do with it too...

Ignoramus14838

According to Miller "The high frequency in a tig system consists of a

3000 ac voltage oscillating a 3000000 hertz." My Syncrowave 180 SD uses HF continuous for AC and HF start for DC. Hope this helps..
Reply to
John

Let me clarify my question. I would like to know the range of welding frequency for AC welding, not frequency of high voltage arc stabilization.

Ignoramus14838

Ignor,

Have you found the TIG Handbook on the Miller site? It's an excellent resource with lots of information on the process, equipment, and techniques.

In Chapter6 it shows a table of settings for Advanced SquareWave AC welding of aluminum. The AC Frequency Setting ranges from 110 to 250 Hz.

HTH, Roger Enns.

Reply to
renns

I'd find it difficult to see a 3 MHz signal coming out of the torch myself. I'd think the general capacitance would be to high.

Ignoramus14838 wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A tiny bit of searching came up with this from Lincoln:

"Frequency, or Hz, is the number of times the AC TIG arc switches between electrode negative and electrode positive in one second. Miller's Dynasty? 300 DX inverter-based TIG power source permits adjusting output frequency from 20 to 250 Hz. Conventional TIG machines have a frequency fixed to that of the 60 Hz primary power."

Maybe not the final answer, but a decent ball park estimate.

Jeez, Dude, do a little bit of work and think before you ask more stupid questions that you can answer for yourself.

My Lincoln TIG welding guide also suggests that higher AC freqs are helpful on thinner materials.

Reply to
xray

We use tig for automated circumferential welding of very small weld beads at relatively high speeds. 250 Hz is the max we could use but the wave form becomes so distorted the energy control becomes a guessing game above 100 Hz.

Reply to
tomcas