What Is Going On With The Prices of Harbor Freight Plasma Cutters?

I purchased the 40 AMP, 230V PLASMA CUTTING SYSTEM from Ebay about 1 year ago, It was still new, and was snagged for $500 I had been looking at this model on Harbor Freight's website when it was $1049, and then it went up to $1149. Now it is a whopping $1499.99 It has gone up $300 in the last month. I haven't had any problems with my unit, bout wouldn't much complain since I paid $1,000 less for the one I now have.

However I was looking for a second unit but $1500 is a lot of money Is the price of plasma cutters going up in general - for all brands and models? The HB catalog # is ITEM 41952-4VGA at:

Telwin products are not bad at all, and I am pleased, but maybe a little concerned about replacement parts. I would definantly purchase the unit again, but maybe not at $1500.00

Reply to
Alexe

They periodically put many things on sale for HALF PRICE and it may be that this item originally did not allow that large a discount. I think I heard (? read) someone say, "If it ain't on sale wait a few weeks and get it for half price!"

Also, you might see what other units of equal specs are selling for. They could be just "getting in line" with other pricing as well as making room for the half price sales. ;-)

Al

======================

Alexe wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

These units are made in Italy so the change in price is more likely due to the dramatic drop in value of the US dollar to the Europe in the past year.

Doug

Al Patrick wrote:

Reply to
douglasehamilton

Reply to
douglasehamilton

Contrary to the claims of the government, inflation is out of control. The prices of most things that I have to and want to buy have increased dramatically since the beginning of this year. I had planned to buy a Architectural software program but it went from $995 in January to $1600 in February. Food prices have also increased around 50% since January. HF prices have always bounced around a lot though. I hope you have better luck with their stuff than I have. I would not buy anything electrical from them for any price. The last thing I bought from them had 4 motors go out in the 90 day warranty period. Funny thing though, they just put the bad units I returned back on the shelf and sold them to someone else. I don't know if the employees in the store were just stupid or dishonest. I met the store manager and he seems like an honest guy but he cannot afford to pay enough to hire competent people.

Reply to
Don Bingham

well just comonup to Canada! the prices here have remaind fairly constant for most things except gasoline. I think that the stong canadian dollar may have something to do with keeping prices constant. Your US dollar is still worth more than ours and you get a GST rebate at the US/Canada border!

Reply to
onsite welding