When is an oxy-fuel torch better for cutting than plasma?

I seem to remember that O-F can be used for multi-inch thick, which is too thick for plasma. What else? Is O-F more cost effective in any situation?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

O-F excels in situations where you don't have heavy electric power and clean compressed air available. The initial purchase cost of O-F is also substantially lower.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

I also see large thick jobs cut by O-F and even small jobs. Large tables require large electrical wires or large hoses.

Take a 20x48 foot CNC table. Serious sheet of metal.

Depends on the shop, mix of materials and size of metal.

Mart> >> I seem to remember that O-F can be used for multi-inch thick, which is

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Balancing that, I think, is that the operating cost of plasma is much lower.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Plasma cost me a bigger air compressor.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Oxy/fuel will cut steel up to 6 inches thick hand held, but a machine can cut 24 inches thick. Plasmas max out at 1-1/2 inch hand held and 4 inches for machines.

However Oxy/fuel only works on steel. If you use an iron powder injection torch it can sloppily cut other metals.

Oxy/fuel is also more portable, but heavy cutting requires multiple oxygen cylinders.

It really depends on what you are cutting. A plasma is portable if you have a generator and gas powered compressor.

Oxy/fuel is also more likely to set things on fire around where you are cutting.

Plasma is more dangerous to your lungs in confined areas since you are aerosolizing the metals into a micro fine powder.

There are more fire marshal restrictions on oxy/fuel because of the flammable gas involved.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I'm quite sure I've read an article on plasma cutting 6" thick stainless, and underwater no less. I recall it was in a reactor decom so it was likely a bit unique and with customized gear though.

Reply to
Pete C.

I love my plasma cutter because it is so versatile. Since I don't need to cut anything over 1.5 inches thick the thing is great. Especially because I use it to cut all sorts of metals. The only major drawback is the dust, which Ernie mentioned. This is a concern and breathing protection must be used if you can't avoid breathing the dust. Eric

Reply to
etpm