Will a Powcon 300SM Inverter work with a Lincoln LN-25 Wirefeeder?

Threaded View
Guys, I need some advice and help... I came across a used LN25 CV/CC
wirefeeder recently, and hooked it all up today just to see if the feeder
worked. Ran the heavy input lead to the back of my POWCON and plugged it
into the (+) receptacle, with the ground lead going to the work. Hooked up
the gas (CO2), turned it on, installed the torch, made sure I had wire,
grounded the LN25 work lead to the work, and turned on the POWCON.
Immediately, Herr Powcon sounded different - it usually makes a click, click
clicking noise at a pretty slow speed while it's idling, but it was really
fast.... not super fast, but faster than normal. I then tried the wire feed
using the incher... it worked fine. Then I saw the LN25 voltmeter - it was
pegged. It pegs at 40 v, and my Powcon runs an open circuit voltage of
around 65-78... way higher than the LN25 appears to like.

I shut the Powcon down. Doesn't look like I damaged it at all, but something
isn't right.

The LN25 manual states that it can be used with any DC welding power source.
It also says that a constant voltage power source is recommended; however,
the LN25 can also be used with constant current (which I'm pretty sure a
POWCON is, right?) power source as long as the open circuit voltage is less
than 110v DC, which my POWCON is. So what might be wrong? I don't think the
LN25's voltmeter should be pegged out, right?

Now, it does say that you shouldn't use the LN-25 models with internal
contactors (mine has one) with non-Lincoln TIG or Square Wave welding power
sources, because damage to the LN25 can result due to the high output
inductance typically associated with these power sources. It also says that
TIG power should never be applied to the LN25. Is a POWCON a square-wave
welding power source? It's DC... I don't believe it's a square-wave
source...

Can someone tell me if this will work, and if so, how do I set it up so the
POWCON and the LN25 like each other?
r/
Steve

Re: Will a Powcon 300SM Inverter work with a Lincoln LN-25 Wirefeeder?
Did you switch the LN 25 to CC???  There is a switch  inside the feeder.  I
am guessing your Powcon is a stick machine?  ( CC??)
    Also start out with a relatively low amperage setting.
Is there a graph inside your feeder that gives you some guidlines?
Randy

[...]

Randy, thanks for answering. Yes, switching the LN25 to CC was one of the
first things I did. This POWCON is an 300 SM, designed for SMAW, GMAW Metal
Spray, and GMAW Short-Arc - I'm not sure what the GMAW processes are for,
because I've only used it in the SMAW mode.

I had the POWCON set on the lowest settings possible. I didn't try turning
up the "weld power" to see if the voltage would drop, but I could do that if
I knew I wasn't going to hurt something.

There is a CC graph inside the feeder that tells you how to set the wire
speed for the amperage you're running.
r/
Steve

Re: Will a Powcon 300SM Inverter work with a Lincoln LN-25 Wirefeeder?
GMAW is gas metal arc welding which most people just call MIG.  The GMAW
setting would be constant voltage.  You might try switching the feeder over
to CV and the power supply over to GMAW.
    I was running a LN25 on 1/16th self shielding flux core wire the
Saturday before and it was balky on CC but I did manage to get it going.  It
was very sensitive to stickout length.
    I would try Constant voltage first if you have the capability.
Randy

Randy, thanks for answering. Yes, switching the LN25 to CC was one of the
first things I did. This POWCON is an 300 SM, designed for SMAW, GMAW Metal
Spray, and GMAW Short-Arc - I'm not sure what the GMAW processes are for,
because I've only used it in the SMAW mode.

I had the POWCON set on the lowest settings possible. I didn't try turning
up the "weld power" to see if the voltage would drop, but I could do that if
I knew I wasn't going to hurt something.

There is a CC graph inside the feeder that tells you how to set the wire
speed for the amperage you're running.
r/
Steve

Re: Will a Powcon 300SM Inverter work with a Lincoln LN-25 Wirefeeder?
Randy, I'll try that. My only concern is that the voltage, taken from the
digital readout on the 300SM, is in the 60-65 range, and the LN25 says it
needs 15-40 volts (and the analog voltmeter on the LN25 only goes up to 40).
Will I be in danger of doing anything bad to the POWCON by running it
through the LN25, or will I damage the LN25 by giving it more volts than it
needs?
thanks again for trying to help me figure this out....
BTW, what power supply were you using on your LN25?
r/
Steve

Re: Will a Powcon 300SM Inverter work with a Lincoln LN-25 Wirefeeder?

  When you go into GMAW mode the Powcon shouldn't be putting out that
high a open circuit voltage. Constant voltage mode is just that the
voltage remains relatively constant compared to the high fluctuation
found in Constant current mode which will have a open circuit of
60-90v and a welding voltage of 18-28 volts or so. Now older CV power
sources do tend to run a little higher open circuit than when welding
(mine is usually around 35-40 volts open circuit) but a inverter
really should maintain a pretty constant voltage even open circuit.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Re: Will a Powcon 300SM Inverter work with a Lincoln LN-25 Wirefeeder?
It was an old Hobart transformer rectifier unit about 300 amps.
    If you are on CC the voltage will be adjustable and it is unlikely you
could reach much over 35 volts.
    I have only had that one experience with the LN 25  I have used old
Hobart suitcase units several times though.
Randy

Randy, I'll try that. My only concern is that the voltage, taken from the
digital readout on the 300SM, is in the 60-65 range, and the LN25 says it
needs 15-40 volts (and the analog voltmeter on the LN25 only goes up to 40).
Will I be in danger of doing anything bad to the POWCON by running it
through the LN25, or will I damage the LN25 by giving it more volts than it
needs?
thanks again for trying to help me figure this out....
BTW, what power supply were you using on your LN25?
r/
Steve

Site Timeline