Wire welding project

I'm going to make some squirrel traps fashioned on some I saw that work pretty good. Basically, I'm going to use concrete wire, and lay them together to get smaller squares. I need to know what you would suggest to weld them together. I just got a new 115? Victor torch set, the small one, so could use brazing wire (?). Would I use precoated wire, or flux powder or paste? Or I could dial down the Miller 180 with some .024" wire, and hope not to to have too many burn throughs. Which one would you use?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'll tell you, but first you need to post the plans for the squirrel trap. We got a bunch that know exactly when our fruit gets ripe. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Is the concrete wire galvanized? If so do it outdoors so the breeze carries the fumes away. I'ld probably use the torch and some clothes hangers. Make little circles until it flows. Then move back quickly. Hit it all with some metal etching primer (because of the galvanized coating), and then finish paint to taste... or if you don't care about it then just rinse thoroughly and bait to taste.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Harbor Freight has traps for about $22. Not as much fun as building your own, but they are galvanized and will probably last longer.

It is time for me to get my trap off the shelf and relocate a few squirrels. Right now there are about four that are feeding off the bird feeders.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Trapping and relocating squirrels is like bailing out the ocean. You're just creating a hole for new ones to move into. :( Been there...done that...took a momma (unknowingly) away from nursing babies.

ken

Reply to
Ken Moffett

That is what a friend said. But my experience is that it takes about 6 to 8 months before new squirrels move in.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Squirrelinator. Looks easy to build. Good concept.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

own, but they are galvanized and will probably last longer.

ls. Right now there are about four that are feeding off the bird feeders.

I have bird feeders on a pole. I gave the pole a liberal coating of vaselin e, and the squirrels gave up after a couple of hours (which made for some f un watching). Surprisingly, the vaseline has held up for well over a year, through a hellaciously hot summer and a witch-tit cold winter.

It may help that I always scatter a couple of handfuls on the ground to sha re with the squirrels and chipmunks.

Reply to
Jesse Bear

I looked it up, no good pictures to make a plan from. I tried the website, "contact us" button, put in all my data and got a 404 error. I called the company reported their website problem and ask the price. Probably good that the site didn't work, I made a smart remark about any website that doesn't list prices of their products must think there prices are to high. Anyway, the Squirrelinator is $60 and $70 with the Basin. I forget to ask about shipping. Mikek

Reply to
amdx