max performance

ive heard some different ways to tune a stroke for max performance without running lean. ive been told to look for a vapor trail, look at exhaust residue, sound, pinch fuel lines, etc. what are some methods have worked for various folks?

Reply to
seany1124

Nitro. Lots of nitro.

Reply to
Ted Dawson

You talking about a 4 stroke? Use a tach. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

Another method is to use a tachometer. Adjust to maximum rpm then richen it until rpms drop about 300. I usually adjust the carb when the tank is about 1/4 full and the engine is fully warmed up. You can then check your adjustment by running at full throttle and pointing the planes nose in the air. It shouldn't slow down or sag.

John VB

seany1124 wrote:

Reply to
JJVB

On 8 Nov 2005 20:08:38 -0800, "seany1124" wrote in :

Use a tachometer.

Find your highest RPM with the tach. When you get too lean, the RPMs will start dropping.

Richen up until you're below the peak.

You get to gamble how far below you want to go.

You probably won't know what works until you've burned up a few engines.

Me, I like to stay on the rich, safe side for the kind of flying that I do (sport).

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Unless you're rich and have lots of spare motors lying around. I would set your motor up once and forget about it unless there is a need to touch it (eg, massive humidity changes, etc.)

I've seen people tweaking and tuning to get the last bit out of the motor, using a tach, model up-and-down, you name it. Take off and can't fly or just do high-speed passes the length of the field and annoy the heck out of everyone.

I've seen the pros (the really competitive flyers, not the wannabe's) start their engines, check the settings (ususally one up or down to check lean-out), MAYBE a quick flash of the tach, touch the neddle valve (click-click), taxi out and go flying. Land, fuel up, and go out again without touching the engine.

Their engines are not maxed out but running solidly and putting out good power. If you are running your motor at its absolute limit, you're flying with the wrong motor and/or prop.

Reply to
byrocat

Get a bigger engine

Reply to