OT: ISPs in SE United States

Totally Off Topic - I'm absolutely fed up with the spam Road Runner passes through here in North Carolina. I appreciate the speed but need a different Internet Service Provider. Any suggestions based on personal experience? Thanks ...

[Oh, and it IS possible for ISPs to filter out the trash from others who relay it ... I've used USFamily - dot -Net in several cities in 3 different states and RARELY got any of the trash that Road Runner passes through every day! Unfortunately they don't yet offer anything here faster than dial-up.]

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Leonhardi

Here's a life lesson for you: Learn not to depend on others.

If you can access your email via a pop server, there's no reason why you can't take care of your own problems yourself - ie: use a decent email client that has robust client-side filtering capabilities...

Reply to
daytripper

Or yu could tale a pop mail service with an ISP over here - claranet - and have access to spam filters you can configure yourself that eliminate at least 95% of it.

Nothing says you have to use te same ISP for mail as you do to get a conection.

Most only require you send mail thrtough their relays - where you collect it from is your own business.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Search for DSL availibilty at your location. Jim

It happens that Dennis Leonhardi formulated :

Reply to
JS

I use Mozilla Thunderbird with my Road Runner connection. It has a "smart" junk filter that learns what you do and don't want over time. Before I upgraded from the beta here a couple of weeks ago, it was filtering 95% of my spam. When I upgraded, it had to start over with the learning process, but it's already eliminating the bulk of the spam I get.

You're never going to find a totally spam-free haven, unless you give up email completely. spam is completely unpredictable; it could be anything from anyone. How are you going to filter that?

Reply to
mkirsch1

Ask US Family. They seem to be able to predict who will relay the trash. Using their services in Minnesota, New York and North Carolina, I averaged easily less than 6 unwanted emails per month. While using the internet much more heavily than I do now.

Road Runner, on the other hand - while advertising their "fabulous" (or something like that) spam filtering - flat out tells me it's my job. As if to say I might just want something from the services that relay spam emails by the jillions.

Reply to
Dennis Leonhardi

The problem lies when you are trying to figure out who's problem it is that you can't access your email, both will point at the other party. Trust me I tried!

Reply to
Anthony Toft

Oh well. I spent many years debugging Internet connections. I telll them where the problem lies, not the other wy around.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You know? Somehow that doesn't surprise me about you! Eventually you might even get one right.

Missed you in London! Sorry you couldn't make it!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Got enough right to sell the business and retire at 50.

I try never to go there. Its full of people like you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that just supports the adadge about being able to fool some of the people all of the time! Makes you and the AMA two of a kind there!

Funny? I didn't see that many Americans there. I think you're just overly sensitive as a result of your anti-Americanism and anti-Semitism.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

I assume all who suggested I use a mail service over & above my ISP also use

2 engines on all of your planes - 1 for high speed, 1 for idle. :)

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Leonhardi

'Your kind of people' amd americans are not the same thing, sweety. I see they got that old Klux man busted and up for trial finally. A relative one assumes?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't appear to be more stupid than you have to.

I know its hard, coming from where you do, but at least make the effort.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hey D.H., Why don't you take on as your New Year's Resolution an attempt at looking semi intelligent and stop hammering other folks who are not your followers. Or, in your words, at least make the effort.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Yet another adage demonstrated by D.H. He ASSUMES!

Wrong again D.H. If he's related to anyone here, it would most certainly be you! After all, like you the Klan hates Jews to name just one!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Go easy on him, Six, with his shitty outlook on life he must be struggling for some reason to even get up in the morning ...

:)

"Six_O'Clock_High" >

Reply to
Dennis Leonhardi

Trash like D.H. doesn't deserve easy. They're the cause of most problems in the world. Not the solution!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

wonder what makes you think I do?

Reply to