OT: Question of American vernacular usage?

For once Red, I must (admit I) agree with you! Well said!

Chuck

Reply to
C.O.Jones

I don't recall the exact numbers but, last I heard more criminals were killed or detained by gun toting citizens than the number of citizens killed by criminals. And if I recall correctly, the ratio is something like three to one.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

And while you're at it, consider for a moment how many jobs have been created and given out by poor people! I'll wager you can count them on one finger!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

You cry for what you consider to be your rights! All the while denying the rights of the unborn! Greedy little bastard aren't you?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Gains? Some sort of martial tarts chappies?

robbing

You understand wrong. Most gun crime is amongst two sections of the public. Serious armed robbery for serious cash, and drug (gang) related.

The former tend to use sawn off shotguns, easily stolen, and the latter use smuggled weapons, some from the USA, some form the eastern bloc. If you can smuggle half a ton of cocaine, a gun is not hugely more difficult. Of course there are lots of guns in Ireland hidden in dumps known only to US weapons inspectors....

There used to be (till he got put away), a chap making a very good living out of turning replica guns into working firearms.

The only difference gun law really makes in the UK is that accidental and casual use does not happen. If you want a gun, you can get one, but it takes a lot of wanting.

Naturally enough, the ban on sporting handguns - the sort of single shot .22 calibre weapons used by target shooters - has had utterly no impact whatsoever on the use of guns by criminals.

Because no one who wants a lethal handgun uses one of those...

The law is good in one respect, in that handguns - which have no other use apart from killing PEOPLE (except as mentioned above) are illegal, so you just have to own one to be breaking the law, and no one has them by definition, except the police and criminals, so anyone who carries one and gets shot, sort of deserves it :-)

Its hard, but not impossible, to get hunting rifles and shotguns, but you are restricted to where and how you store them and transport and use them.

Its still not much of a gun crime country. A little worse in inner cities where the drug gangs operate, but there is almost less armed robbery than there was.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Since collateral damage replaced innocent civilian casualties?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry, ours is called Blair, but apart from that, excellent idea.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am sure It was a typo. My keyboard skills are not the Best.

Have what?

yes, "it" can be

No, I didn't understand a word of your rather excitable babble.

What ARE you talking about?

Blimey. Off his rocker completely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I always find that words on paper are very easy things to write.

Interpreting what they mean and enforcing their strictures are two somewhat different matters.

I seem to remember that at the tome those words were written, and for approximately what - 80 years more, slavery and the abuse of slaves was legal and extremely common practice. So no, that's not why people come to Amerika...

No, they come for the cash, pure and simple. Faced with starvation, and a McDonalds, its a tough choice to be sure, but in the end, most people pick the McDonalds.

I cold probably live in any country in the world, but I didn't pick the USA.. why? I don't need the money THAT bad.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suppose it is very 'convenient' for you guys to 'forget' that it was you guys that attacked Japan for no good reason and brought them into the war. They only attacked us because we were helping you guys out.

Can you EVER think of a time when the US helped another country for reasons other than self interest?

David - who wonders when the septic tanks will suddenly become smart enough to figger out that they are attacked becaus of what they do to other countries.

Reply to
quietguy

Bill wrote: ... Well, Saddam and his sons will never use chemical weapons on

Ahhh well Bill, he doesn't need to now that he has you guys killing the women and kids - by your reasoning they should be happy they are being murdered by you guys instead of Saddam.

Geez Bill - think about it a bit - can't you SEE that if you are a 12 year old girl and some brave yank bastard shoots you because he is scared shitless it hurts just as much as if it was done by one of your own country men?

And you are proud to support that? I guess it takes all types, but some of them our world would be better of without

David

Reply to
quietguy

Marvin

Reply to
Marvin

BUT of course they left out the bit about "unless of course you are black, poor, have a disability, cannot afford health insurance, are a single parent, wish to express your choice of sexuality in the privacy of your home, are a target of the eugenics laws, etc etc etc

David

That's from the Declaration of

Reply to
quietguy

SNIP

D.H.

Coming from YOU that is a high complement

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

The Natural Philosopher posted message IDon Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:44:32

+0100

Why Neville! If you wanted my attention so, you could have requested it in any number of threads that you have otherwise abandoned in abject retreat and failure. However, since you chose to stick your appeasing poofter nose into a conversation that did not concern you, I'll answer you here.

Bzzzzzt! Wrong. Again. Still. And always.

Unless, that is, you believe you can somehow prove your absurd claim.

Reply to
Todd Klondike

quietguy posted message IDon Fri, 09 Jul

2004 11:18:35 +1000

Silly asstralian, you misspelled 'failed to take advantage of the educational opportunities to better yourself and thus earn a decent living'.

HTH

Reply to
Todd Klondike

quietguy posted message IDon Fri, 09 Jul 2004

11:03:51 +1000

Say what? You actually *believe* this? That's stunning...even for an asstralian. Can I have a sample of your brain tissue for scientific research?

Reply to
Todd Klondike

I would just like to let it be known that QuietGuy does not speak for all Australians. I am proud to have many American friends. We would be speaking Japanese now if it was not for the Yanks. And poor old Natural Philosopher would be goose stepping down high street and eating Sauerkraut for breakfast.

Good in you Yanks give it to these terrorists. Pick a side you guys. I know whose side I am on.

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

Reply to
Tom Watson

So, I take it all the other USA folks here are Republicans, and not a bush pilot in the bunch? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

Red,

Good for you, I couldn't agree more with your post.

Best regards,

Reply to
Herb Winston