OT slightly: Fighting Words ???????

I ordered the January 2004 RC Model World from Traplet, which is a UK pub house, because it looked like it had something in it I was interested in.

Flipping thru the rag, I stopped to browse the Laser 150 engine review and saw this in the article which was written by Steve Dorling.

" When arguably the finest fighter of WWII ( the P51 Mustang, which was a British designed aeroplane despite its American heritage ) was found lacking in the power department, the American Allison engine was dropped in favour of a rather better V12 from Rolls Royce."

THE P-51 WAS DESIGNED BY THE BRITS ??????????

Steve Dorling needs to 'get his head out of his arse' and check his facts! It was designed FOR the Brits, NOT by them.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Then why didn't they build and fly them instead of Spits and Hurricanes? Horse hockey! Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

What the Brits did was try the Merlin engine in the Mustang. Funny thing is that the experimental data for the Mustang's laminar flow wing was developed by Curtis and sold to North American for a song. At least that's what the research literature I've read sez.

CR

David AMA40795 / KC5UH wrote:

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Don't you know? The Brits invented everything. The designs were stolen by other countries! ;^)

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Actually if I recall correctly the basic design of the Mustang was in response to a request for a new aircraft from the British Purchasing Commission (who were in the US checking out everything in order to keep their supply of aircraft, ships etc flowing). The British actually first checked into getting more P-40's but the available production was going to the USAAF and North American said they could produce the P-40 under license. They then loked at the design and some experimental laminar flow airfoil data from Curtiss and told the BPC that they could design a beter plane and produce a prototype in les than 120 days, which they did.

It was a good aircraft but not great with the Allison engine, better suited to lower level combat where it was superior to the Spit but performance fell off at higher altitudes.

The US got interested but with no money available for new fighters that had money avaialble for ground attack aircraft so the first 500 or so were purchased as the A36 Apache. Later on when fitted with the Packard built Merlin, History, as they say was made.

So the statement in the magazine is mostly correct but it needs some fleshing out.

The above is from a book I have that details the history of North American

Brian Allen

Reply to
Brian W. Allen

It wasn't a request for a new aircraft at all. The Brits wanted the Warhawk and North American responded that they could design a better plane.

The rest is history.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Really it was Al Gore who invented, and test flew the P-51!

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

And Kerry used it in Nam where he won the CMH and became a hero! :)

Reply to
C.O.Jones

And Bush woulda seen one if he showed up for drill.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

So you are a Kerry Lover?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

What is with you??? You sound like a junior high school kid. Always gotta be right and have to "prove" how much you know.

Personally, I don't like EITHER one all that much.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

And here I thought it was the Russians who invented everything !

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

IIRC, the Allison was normally aspirated, whereas the Merlin was 2 stage supercharged. Makes a heck of a difference in HP at altitude!

The interesting part of the Merlin is the Brits could NOT produce lots of GOOD Merlins. Packard Motor Company was shown the blueprints and said ' piece of cake' - and the rest is history.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

I believe the Allison was supercharged but optimised for low altitude power whereas the Merlin was designed to operate at higher altitudes.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Not trying to prove a thing Paul. Simply asking you a question. And letting the world see how you try to dodge it! I simply wanted to give you the opportunity to talk up your guy WHOEVER THAT MIGHT BE! But rather than try to convince anyone your choice is better, you continue to insist on dodging the issue. I have to conclude that like you, your guy (whoever it may be) is worse than mine. Based simply on your demonstrated devotion to him here.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

See what I mean? You have to PROVE you are right all the time. Have you EVER posted anything on this boar related to model aircraft?

I don't jump on every passing bandwagon just because the wagon passes by. Why do I have to have "my guy" to dislike "your guy"?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The brits were having a lot of trouble producing ANYTHING. Including steaks. Possily due to having had a few milloon tons of HE scatterd all over the industrial heartlands.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't Paul! You simply need to be man enough to say so! And it's a natural to assume or at least hope that if you dislike one candidate that you prefer another and have positive reasons for doing so!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Oh! Almost forgot!

NO! What do you mean?

Asking you questions is having to prove myself right all the time? Not hardly. But I do seek answers. And watching your efforts at avoiding answering a simple challenge has been quite interesting.

YES! Have you?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Paul: "Doctrine of the excluded middle". Google that phrase. Then forget C O Jones. Except to amuse youself with.

He is probably a CIA AI unit with very poor firmware. He is designed to get people to reveal their True Anti American feelings online.

But like most government software, all he achieves is the revelation of anti C O Jones feeling.

There are a couple of these pro government trollbots in every newsgroup.

If you subscribe to UK.d-i-y there is one in there called IMM.

Hours of fun replicating the software. We now have a 99% confidence level in the exact response it will give to a given input statement.

Comes from the same factory that programmed the BushDroid. And the Blairroid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher