OT sort of re: Lindbergh letter

I work as a volunteer at Friends of the Library book recycling facility. This week we found among some old books that were donated a typed letter appearing to be from Charles A. Lindbergh to Capt. Frank M. Hawks.

Text of the letter:

Letter Head: Charles A. Lindberg o/o The Daniel Guggenheim Fund for the Promotion of Aeronautics. Inc.

598 Madison Avenue New York City

June 2, 1930

Captain Frank M. Hawks The Texas Company

136 East 42nd Street New York City

Dear Frank:

Thanks very much for seeding me the autographed photographs of you and your ship. I am trying to locate of mine and will send it to you in the near future.

With best wishes, (signature) C. A. Lindbergh

While the mission of the Friends of the Library is the recycling and selling of donated books and magazines, with proceeds going to the local Library system, the disposal of the document above is somewhat out of our scope. We are looking for advice as how to best get a fair value for it.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

On 8/18/2004 2:27 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

Sotheby's Auction House ?

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I'd see if there's any objection from the Lindberg family first, then as suggested Sotherbys or straight to the Smithsonian.

Reply to
Majortomski

The Smithsonian would certainly be able to point you in some direction to determine it's authenticity and value.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Reply to
jim breeyear

Perhaps you should just burn it. It might be embarrassing to the family to find out that the great Charles apparently cannot spell, or even write a sentence using correct english!! :-)

David

Red Scholefield wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

TROLL! Nice, real nice. Obviously a typo!!!! Go bash somebody else.

Reply to
jeboba

Geeez, get a life - or at least a sense of humour sourpuss

David

Reply to
quietguy

Reply to
jim breeyear

I am sure you are right Jim - I was just having a friendly dig at the library volunteer

David - who imself neva makkes tipoes

jim breeyear wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Don't expect too much for it.

A $2000 Lindbergh autograph:

A dealer in autographs:

A Lindbergh collector:

He's got a page for people to buy and sell memorabilia:

AH--I see you found that page already! ;o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ