OT - South Asia Disaster Relief

One of my other hobbies is playing guitar.

Almost without exception participants of the various guitar playing usenet communities have rallied to help victims of the worst natural disaster in modern history.

I'm a little embarassed that airplane enthusiasts have not raised the call, so I'm doing it.

Two trustworthy organizations that can help.

You folks with the $2000+ planes take note, especially the ones who whine about AMA dues.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Good point on the donations.

Regard>

Reply to
Phil

Surf's up Dude. I will donate what I like, when I like. Don't assume that RC enthusiasts are cold hearted. I see the news every 15 minutes, I can see what's going on.

Why don't you pawn your guitar and what have YOU donated ?

Reply to
<notonyour

Bush said "if they were Chistians none of this would have happened"

Reply to
<notonyour

I like the post that for you to pawn your guitar and donate the money.

Reply to
Andrew

Did he?

JS

Reply to
JS

I don't know what's sadder! The fact that he actually thinks Bush is callous or stupid enough to say something like that. Or the fact that he actually believes Bush said it!

In fact this is not the worse depending on what you consider modern history. There was a flood in China that killed many more than this one has. Don't recall when, wasn't there!

As for so called charitable giving. I'd like to know what relief those people, or anyone outside the US for that matter, sent to Florida this past hurricane season? And don't give me the crap about our being rich and all. True charity doesn't give a rats behind about that.

The US gives more to the world than the world gives to itself. And all we get for it is idiots like this snipped-for-privacy@life.com clown. I suggest you change your moniker to snipped-for-privacy@cluless.duh

Reply to
Chuck Jones

And takes about 16 times the global average from it.

It has been calculated that ten earth like planets would not be enough in terms of resources for everyone to live as North America does.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good point on the AMA.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Then in the words of my daughter, "sucks to be you!"

Reply to
Chuck Jones

*shrug*.

Sooner or later it will become not a moral issue, but a pure hard boiled pragmatic issue.

I make no particular moral stance, merely pointing it out as a fact which will ultimately have inevitable consequences.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And when it does (if it ever does) it will still suck to be you!

Convenient facts drawn from yet another London tabloid I imagine! But it is nice to see you admit to a lack of morals.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Sure. Whatever.

Hardly. Check the facts out for yourself.

I certainly have no morals of the conventional sort. I am a pragmatist. What makes people feel good makes people feel good. Give it to them and usually they go away and stop bothering you.

Howvere now and again one sees their stupid lack of ideas and faith is idiots leading them towards dead ends.

One feels one should at least point this out, in case there is the odd one with half a brain cell in the mob. They may be useful to you once the vast lemming like mass of the rest have gone over the cliff of their own stupidity.

However, in your case, its over the cliff time, and you will still be trusting in God, Dubya and Faith over Gravity till your head hits the pavement underneath

Think of it as evolution in action. You are simply too stupid to stay alive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I> don't know what's sadder! The fact that he actually thinks Bush is

What's sadder is that you believe that he believes that Bush actually said something like that! Typical conservative: absolutely no sense of sarcasm, let alone a sense of humor.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Certain of that are you? How prophetic! Maybe you and D.H. should get together and do a road show!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

I make a lousy $31K per year, but I scrounged $500.00 and sent it to a medical team heading to Thailand. Next? (And DO pawn a guitar, which makes noise, NOT a model aircraft engine that makes lovely music!)

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

From an old acquaintance in Sri Lanka. >hope you have a nice new year ! for us 2004 was bad .. hope 2005 will >be a better one ! >im in colombo with my parents which was why we managed to escape. i >stayed with thme for a week cos i had work commitments too but i have >been raising >cash buying stuff and getting not much sleep >tomorrow i will visit my fiance and the town we live (which was half >destroyed) >so many friends dead and missing >outrageously sad ! >so sweet of you >i have a dutch friend too who has raised cash for immediate expenses where >as im planning longer term .. right now local people are giving food and >clothing plus medicine has been supplied for a short term from abroad but >the government will not be able to build houses for all these people even >with aid .. we want to help a few families start all over again, if that is >at all possible after such a tragedy ... im taking mattresses down to a >hospital where the pregnant mums are housed tomorrow as they have no plc to >sleep with their hospital getting hit bad ... me and my dutch friend will >revive the plc with her funds plus local labour >

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And one has checked it out and concludes that you are a fool extraordinaire! In terms of natural resources, we've hardly scratched the surface. In terms of Faith? If I'm wrong, I've exchanged a little time and money for some peace of mind. Nothing more. If I'm right, you're screwed!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

I was going to say How nice to see an off topic post that isn't full of political, catty, nasty, back biting rubbish as most of the OT posts seem to be.

My thoughts are with the victims and survivers of this tragedy and it was good to see someone remind us that we partake in a hobby that is by third world standards, a VERY expensive one, and that sharing some of our wealth would be a good thing.

I was amazed at the speed that the topic turned ugly, it seems that no matter what the subject, even one so tragic, someone will decide to type something nasty.

The only remark that I have heard about "God's Wrath" on non Christians came from our (Au) very own Anglican (Episcopalean) Dean of Sydney (Jensen), who was reported in Sundays papers to have said something similar. Silly man!

I am no supporter of Pres Bush, but I can't imagine him saying something so foolish.

It certainly has taken the edge off new years celebrations here in Au and I would like to repeat the plea for rc modelers to dig deep and give what they can to help mitigate the suffering caused by this tragedy. Bob Tomlinson

Aussie RC Enthusiast and Rugby Fanatic.

Thank heavens the USA hasn't discovered and packaged Rugby.

Reply to
adder

Sharing our wealth? You mean the 350 million in CASH we've already promised! And that's just the US government. It doesn't count private charities from this country. And let us not forget the use and movement of capital hardware, ships, planes and helicopters in numbers that rival the rest of the world combined. Not cheap to relocate a carrier battle group. That wealth?

All the while places like Sri Lanka continue to practice their "hate the Jews and the West" attitudes. Preferring to let their people die rather than allow doctors from Israel or female (non Muslim) nurses from the West to enter the country.

In the meantime, the Muslim world has donated what, 12 million? Most of it from Saudi! Guess we know where Muslim charity resides.

And where is the UN in all this? Isn't this the kind of thing the UN is for? Oh yeah! They're too busy commenting on how stingy we are to be bothered with something trivial like this!

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jones