Question regarding crash damage repair

I crashed my Great Planes PT-60 two weeks ago, causing minor-to-moderate damage to the wings and fuselage. I'm well on the way to having it repaired but have a question. I posted a photo in alt.binaries.radio-control that shows some additional damage I found today. The former is far enough back I really cannot reach it, and definitely cannot clamp anything back there. If I just lay down some epoxy and press a doubler into it, will it create a good enough bond to hold the pushrod tubes steady?

Thanks for any guidance, Carrell

Reply to
Carrell

Howard

Reply to
Howard

I looked at your pictures. One of the problems that you are letting block you is thinking that the Monocote has to stay in place. You can cut it open and get to exactly where you want to make your repair. Then you get to learn about covering and recovering as a bonus. Or you can cut a piece with recess for the pushords and put it up from the center. Epoxy and an angled clamp will help, or just a piece of wood jamed in against the front bulkhead while your repair cures in place. Have fun, it is all part of the challenge. There really isn't one of us flying that hasn't had to figure out how to repair things. "They fly better that way!" Let us know how it comes out and how your training is coming. Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48

The easiest way is to cut out a piece of the covering right next to the former, and then use a piece of 1/16th aircraft ply as a doubler with thick CA to reinforce as you already understand it. It's really easy to replace the piece of covering after the repair, you'll get a better repair by being able to get right at the area, and you'll NOT be adding weight to the rear of the fuse by using epoxy to fix it. Sounds like you're good to go.

MJC

Reply to
MJC